August 24-Gray Peak and Skylight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46erDan

Reaction score
Conditions: Trails from ADK Loj all the way to Lake Arnold are in very good shape. Kudos to the trail crews that work so hard to maintain them. The trail from Lake Arnold to Felspar Brook is VERY wet, but the logs and bridges here and there help tremendously to navigate through the marsh. I'd forgotten how much elevation is lost from Lake Arnold to the leanto (all to be gained again on the return). The final ascent to Lake Tear of the Clouds is in excellent condition. From the outlet of Tear, marked with a cairn, we followed the herd path to the summit of Gray Peak. That trail was messy. Lots of erosion and mud. Then back down and on to Skylight for a great finish. The trail to its summit was in excellent shape.

Special Equipment: The usual summer pack essentials. We needed head-lamps at the end of our 12+-hour marathon.

Comments: This was a special day for the three of us. My son David (age 17) finished his 46th peak on Skylight and my daughter Elizabeth (age 20) reached the 38 mark, and I'm now two away from a twice 46er. We were blessed with beautiful weather throughout the day and a glorious summit view on Skylight. It was a long day: 19 miles and 12 1/4 hours. Throughout the day we were all mindful, however, of how blessed we are to have the ADK's which is a show-case of God's glorious creation.

Submitted by: D. Lewicki (ADK 46R #4932)