Avalanche Course/Workshop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hey,

In my quest to be a better prepared and informed New England 'mountaineer', I am looking around to see if I can find a good, free or not too expensive field workshop on avalanche risk assessment.

So far, I have come across one offered by Boston AMC Mountaineering.
It is actually a Chauvin course and classroom plus one day on the mountain runs $195, so I'm still looking.

There was a course offered through our Harvard Outing Club last year, but I think it was much the same deal.

I know I have become really spoiled by the extremely inexpensive (or free) workshops offered by AMC chapters and GMC.

Anyone know of a cool way I can learn more about avalanche assessment without actually leaving New England?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Acadia Mountain Guides 1-888-232-9559
Appalachian Mountain Club and National Ski Patrol (603) 466-2727
Bartlett Backcountry Adventures (603) 374-0866
Chauvin Guides International (603) 356-8919
International Mountain Climbing School (603) 356-7064
Mount Washington Observatory (OBS) (603) 356-2137

I'm not sure what the prices are for any of these course providers but I got the names and tel numbers from: Avalanche Courses in the Mount Washington Area.

The mountaineer in Keene is having a mountainfest this winter, and there is a one day level 1 class. They offer day two as a prep for the level 2 course, which will run later in the season at whiteface. I do not know the price, but I want to take one of the avy courses also.

2 day course at PNVC

Thanks for the info above.

I came across this 2 day course, offered at Pinkham. While aimed at skiers, it looks like it might fit what I am looking for.

It's $89 (without lodging) for 2 full days, which compares very well. This a Level I course offered by the National Ski Patrol.

NSP Avalanche Course at Pinkham

There are Level I (and II and III) courses, as classified by AIARE (American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education), for instance as offered here:

Acadia Mountain Guides

Does anyone know enough to strongly suggest either the NSP or AIARE Level I, that is one over the other?

Last edited:
all courses mentioned in the whites are good

all of the previously mentioned coarses are good,provided you are goeing to be in good avalache enviroment. I have taken all of the courses given by Chauven Guides, the amc, jackson hole ski patrol, and a few in British Columbia, take the one offered by Chauvin and head up into tuckermans ravine durring the end of january the begining of febuary. Good avi class room! be prepaired and bring rondonne gear the pow may be good !

Hey, maybe if enough people are interested and can get together on a date, some sort of deal could be worked out with an instructor so that the per-person price would be lower. Maybe one of the days during the Winter Gathering?