Back from the Pacific Crest Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maineman

Reaction score
I just returned from my 2630 mile "section" hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. I got off the trail thirty-eight miles from the end of the trail at Manning Park due to the Washington weather moving in and simply running out of time. The PCT is truly unbelievable, if you have ever thought you might like to try I highly recommend it - 160 straight days of sunshine!

I kept a blog at http://www.jasonhikes.com and my Facebook photo albums are public if you'd like to see some pics.

IMG_4644.jpg
IMG_5086.jpg
IMG_5856.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6043.jpg

If you think you might be interested in a PCT thru hike I'd be happy to share my experience with you and offer advice etc.

Last edited:
Jason,
I followed you throughout your hike. What an awesome adventure! Congratulations! Could you reminisce on how your special guitar fared? If you did the hike again would you bring it along?

Could you reminisce on how your special guitar fared? If you did the hike again would you bring it along?
Thanks Brambor - my Emerald X5 carbon fiber guitar performed brilliantly! It stayed perfectly in tune, survived the heat and rain and filth - it even took some hits and survived. I would absolutely bring it again. The biggest surprise to me was I believe it brought those around me as much pleasure to hear music on the trail as I felt getting to play. There were days I didn't play it at all but I definitely played quite a bit overall. It was fun to get to a town or trail angel and have people say - "We heard about you, can you play us a song :)"

I plan to carry it on all my hikes from now on so don't be surprised to see me finishing up my redlining and picking a tune on the summit :)

Excellent. I was afraid you would encounter annoyed audience. Looks like it wasn't so. Great! I did not know you are in Durham, ME

I would love to meet at a local coffee shop and buy you a cup of coffee and take a look at the guitar.

Thanks Brambor - my Emerald X5 carbon fiber guitar performed brilliantly! It stayed perfectly in tune, survived the heat and rain and filth - it even took some hits and survived. I would absolutely bring it again. The biggest surprise to me was I believe it brought those around me as much pleasure to hear music on the trail as I felt getting to play. There were days I didn't play it at all but I definitely played quite a bit overall. It was fun to get to a town or trail angel and have people say - "We heard about you, can you play us a song :)"

It was a lot of fun reading your blog this summer and fall during your travels. If I don't run into you at Gritty's or Bayside we'll have to make plans for some trail or ice time soon! Hope your re-introduction to civilization is going well, zero days galore!

Congratulations are in order for a lifetime achievement! It must have been a fantastic experience. Wow! What a dream to have fulfilled, so what's in the To Fill Bucket next? I mean, where does one go from here?

What's next?

Congrats, Maineman! Where are you off to next?

Well, besides completing my WMG redlining my next "hair-brained scheme" (as my wonderful gal calls them) is to do the AT in Maine in ONE winter. Going to start with the 100 Miles - Yikes!

Not sure if it's appropriate or not but I have put together a high-quality calendar of images from my PCT hike, feel free to check it out:

http://www.jasonhikes.com/pct.php?id=calendar

You can view the images at my public facebook album

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments!

Awesomeness. Pics are positively beautiful.
Good luck on your "winter in one season" thru hike of the AT.:):cool: