Backcountry book

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
Howdy!

Can anyone recommend a good book on backcountry skills(orientering, survival ect).

Thanks

cp2000 said:
Howdy!

Can anyone recommend a good book on backcountry skills(orientering, survival ect).

Thanks
You're talking encyclopedia here. It would be difficult to recommend any single book that adequately covers it all, much less would be good reading for all experience levels.

If you are just starting, try to match your current experience level with a couple of books at the right level in topic areas you like best, then go practice what you have learned in controlled settings. Now you can move on to the next level as you gain experience and learn your likes. Don't try to do it all at once.

However, if I had to pin down just one book as best all around resource, it would be the new Boy Scout Fieldbook (not the more general BSA Handbook). Don't laugh before you take a look at it, you will be surprised at its content and quality. A high percentage of the questions in the New York State licensed guide's examination is made of questions directly from this book. Here's a terrific web site for the BSA Fieldbook.

The best thing you can do is find a local source, a friendly experienced individual or organization, the ADK for example. There are always trips being planned and these folks love to talk and share knowledge. Personal contacts and mentors are far better than any book alone.

Hyuck! There's those demographics again!

So funny: you just caused me to remember/realize something I hadn't considered in decades:

When I was a little kid (sixties), my Dad had a copy of "Freedom of the Hills" near at-hand. When I was first learning to hike, the BSA manual was a frequent resource (remember those goofy old illustrations and warnings against things that made us he-men "unclean"?). When I first soloed, as a teen in the seventies, it was Colin Fletcher, again thanks to Dad, who taught me the ropes.

How funny.

Really, if we're going to do justice, here, then, "Forest and Crag" will have to end up being mentioned. Oh wait, this thread's not about me!

Still laughing,

--M.

best book ever?

Allen and Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book: Travelling and Camping Skills For A Winter Environment

Awesome little book, great pictures, tips and tricks compliment the more structured instruction of Freedom of the Hills.

I agree with "Freedom of the Hills" and also recommend reading several books. After that, pick up a copy of Mark Twight's "Extreme Alpinism: Climbing Light, Fast, and High", it covers a little more in depth on gear, nutrition, and how to train for hiking/climbing. While not all of it pertains, there is enough great information in the book to make it a very worthwhile read.

cp2000 said:
Howdy!Can anyone recommend a good book on backcountry skills(orientering, survival ect).
Summer or winter? A bit of a difference.

As mentioned Freedom of the Hills covers a lot. It tends to be a bit more climbing oriented, and has some good winter information as well. Fletcher is a more backpacking kind of guy, and is a better summer book.

Although I haven't seen the BS field book in over 35 years, I would not be surprised if it is quite good. I learned a lot from that 35 years ago.

BSA Field Book

I searched for the BSA Field Book, to purchase, a few months ago, and found that it is very difficult to locate, available sporadically through used bookstores. Your public library is the best source for it.

FOTH is an excellent resource, as is Kjellstrom's Be expert with Map & Compass.
Happy Winter Reading

mtneqgurl said:
I searched for the BSA Field Book, to purchase, a few months ago, and found that it is very difficult to locate, available sporadically through used bookstores. Your public library is the best source for it.
Actually the best source is your local BSA Council Service Center store if you want to own one. Check the phone book for location, or go to this web page with your zip code.

An online source you can order from is www.scoutingbooks.com.

Note that while older editions found in used bookstores are good, the most current version (4th ed., 2004) is much improved from previous editions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I was just looking for a book on general outdoor knowledge. I got an Amazon gift cert. for xmas that Im trying to put to good use. Ill prob. check out Freedom of the hills.

Happy trails

:cool: