Backpacking boot question.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
After two days on Twin Way and Bondcliff trails the sole of my boot ripped of dropping from Galehead hut to 13 Falls. I never would expect this to happen. The boots are an EMS brand I purchesed ten (+/-) years ago.

So...unexpectantly I am in the market for boots. I need a heavey four season boot. I am leaning toward Asolo TPS 520 GTX. Any opinions or suggestions?

Not 4 Season but a great boot

I have had the Asolo GTX 520's for about 2 years now and they are a great boot. They take a while to break in but once they do you will never really notice them which is the mark of a great boot. While they are waterproof I would not use them for winter unless I was just snowshoeing or doing short dayhikes that do not require crampons. Otherwise a great all around boot.

Don't know if there is such a thing as a "4 season" boot, but the Montrail Torre GTX is a great boot, comes in wide width too...

I bought a pair of Asolo GTX 520's a couple of months ago from EMS - the sales person also sized me for a set of Super Feet insoles ( size 9 boot - size 9 1/2 insole to fit the arch position). 2nd day of hiking was a 23 miler! Love them!

Thanks for the responses.

I will check to see if EMS can do something by way of warranty.

Gris by 4 season I meant a boot that can go through rain and mud, can be used for a heavy backpack trip and be stiff enough for crampons on a day hike. I understand there is footwear for every purpose. I will check out the Montrails.

I have taken these boots through 4 season so I guess they Apply.

My Dunham Waffle Stompers have been up peaks in the daks, mud, roots, rain and all. They have been up Huntington Ravine on the hottest day of the year and countless other White Mountain Peaks. They have been up Mansfield, Washington and the high peaks in the winter in over ankle deep water..no soakers. They have been up Lassen and 3 High Sierra Peaks through slag, boulders and volcanic rock. they are still ready for action and have plenty of life left in the soles.

I would advise these boots for anything up to crampon usage. Imagine a pair of New Balance for all purpose hiking with full ankle support.

My best advice would be to get some duct tape, tape your pinkies* and then lace up every boot you can find. IMO, it doesn't matter how good a boot is if your foot doesn't match the maker's chosen last.

In terms of features, I think the only real decision you have to make is whether you will look at modern injection welted boots with nylon shanks, old-school norwegian welted boots with 1/2 length steel shanks or both. Regardless, fit is the key.

* - If you don't tape your fingers, you will get blisters from tying so many unbroken in boots!! And if you don't blister your fingers, you probably aren't trying on enough boots!!!

----> I agree with Gris.

The Montrail Torre GTX is a great boot. I bought mine 2 years ago and have had happy feet ever since. The sole grips very well, the upper is stiff enough for support on any terrain, they're fairly light, and they're in the lower end of the price scale. I wore them up Cannon in March for their first outing in mid-twenty degree temps and my feet were warm as toast. They are available at EMS.

I have Montrail Olympus boots which are med/heavy weight boots but actually weigh less than many light boots, if you follow me. They are very comfortable, sturdy and stable. Just dremel off the little metal clips in the soles for the I.C.E. crampon system, as you won't be needing those.

I've seen them for less than $200, but this is a good description.
http://store.yahoo.com/fulfillmentadventures/moolbo.html

A vote for Dunham Waffle Stompers - Got mine this year and love 'em. Looking forward to years of use. Made by New Balance and as a bonus they come in widths! Try WWW.DUNHAMFITS.COM

...Joe

Dunhams?

ADK4Life said:
My Dunham Waffle Stompers have been up peaks in the daks, mud, roots, rain and all. I would advise these boots for anything up to crampon usage.

I tried these boots on today and they fit pretty good. For the people that gave these boots a vote which version did you go with dryworks/or without.

I found the lugs on these boots do be pretty funky, reminded me of a cleat. What's your experience with these?

When you say up to crampon usage, do you mean you would wear these with crampons? I wore my Grivel 10's with my Montrails without a problem.

And Dave, I wish I would have read your duct taping your pinky tip about 2 hours ago... :(

Kindest regards,
Shayne

Limmer

Don't understand why this name hasn't come up yet. If you're looking for heavy-weight, this should be a finalist.

Also, search the site for previous threads.

--M.

I love my Vasque

I have the Vasque Alpine II GTX. They are rated as mountaineering but they are not stiff and feel great from the get go. I've put at least 650 miles on mine on tough trail with a 45 pound pack. They are going strong. They are crampon compatible. I've worn them in all seasons, through stream fordings in Maine, up in the Daks, in the Whites, out in the Rockies, in the Catskills, on the LT; just everywhere....I get choked up just thinking about where they've taken me! :p

I had a pair of Asolo's prior to my Vasque but they didn't last this long and were not up to snuff for heavy packs. I've also worn La Sportiva Manaslu's which I like for 4 season hiking but not for backpacking. Incidentally, I did a little trail dance in my Manaslu's when I walked by Manaslu!! Hee hee!

Good luck and let us know what you chose!

Sabrina

Last edited:
Bluethroatedone said:
I actually prefer the Zephyrs....They have a nifty locking eyelet in the middle of the boot that allows for differential tightening of the lower boot and ankle. In that way I can crank the ankle without having to cut circulation in the top of the foot and toes.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...14&parent_category_rn=4501274&vcat=REI_SEARCH

I purchased this boot in july, and hiked in them qite a bit this summer - presi traverse, Cannon, Liberty Slide and Flume as well as shorter hikes. I love the fit and weight, and the traction is very good. But what I don't like is the silly strip of mesh just below the ankle. I stab myself on sharp rocks in that spot on every hike, and wonder why I didn't notice that "feature" while trying them on at teh store. Live and learn.....