Backpacking boot question.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you got ten years worth of hiking out of them, I'd go back and see if I could buy a new pair of em. Hard to match that kind of rugged service.

Kevin Rooney said:
Puck -

I don't mean wish to sound unkind, but ... don't you think the warranty on any pair of boots is up after 10 years? While EMS may "give" you a new pair of boots in the interests of keeping your business, this 'gift' costs the rest of us because someone has to pay the freight ...

If the sole had separated after a year of regular use that's one thing - but after 10 years? No way. Be thankful they were well constructed enough to last that long and spring for a new pair.

Kevin

I did spring for a new pair. I also asked EMS to send out my old ones for repair. They were sent back untouched. They didn't want to glue the sole back on tothe boot. They could not trust the repair to hold.

Kevin don't get me worng, I am not looking for a free lunch. I have stuggled with this issue. What constitutes normal wear and tear? How long sholud a good pair of boots last? It was not a matter of cracked leather and dry rot, these boots were cared for. I am not sure where that line can be drawn.
Why does REI and LL Bean have thier warranty policies of no questions asked and EMS have thiers?

BTW I tried to green square you. I thought your post asked a good honest question.

Last edited:
have you considered getting them resoled? It sounds like the boots were in good shape except for the sole.
resole america resoled my then 5 year old vasque sundowners and they feel new......well except they are broken in already:)