Backpacking Thoreau Falls / Shoal Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
Hi.

I am planning on backpacking starting around 1pm or so next Friday and finishing in the afternoon that Sunday. I have never hiked the Thoreau Falls / Shoal Pond trails, so I was thinking of hiking in Ethan Pond trail, doing a loop of both trails with the Wilderness Trail as a link. I could also do the same from the Nancy Pond Trail.

Concerns:

• Are the Thoreau Falls / Shoal Pond Trails tough to manage due to fact that they are probably lightly used and wet? Any river crossings or issues in that sense?
  • Am I biting off more than I can chew with the milage?
  • Are there other recommendations for a loop in that area that doesn't require much elevation gain?
  • And, most importantly, with either of those routes, what will give me the best camping opportunity in a three hour period from the start (so I can set up camp Friday night and not be stuck looking into the night hours)?

Thanks.

You may have to ford the Pemi at Stillwater Jct, expect the water to be cold, but doable.
There are good spots to camp near Norcross Pond along the Nancy Pond Tr., or once you descend to the brook crossings in the Wilderness.
Ethan Pond tentsite (no caretaker or fee at this time of year) would be a good spot for Friday night, if you come in that way.
Sounds like a good loop.

Trails will be relatively easy to follow though downed leaves may obscure the footway. However, Shoal Pond Trail has many many VERY wet sections typical of wilderness terrain. Those will probably NOT be frozen so you may want to re-think it this time of year, especially when the weather has been wet (as it will have been). Thoreau Falls Trail has better drainage.

I've used a couple of great stealth sites on that loop. Ones of the the Ethan Pond Tr. close to, but outside the 1/4 mile restriction for Thoreau Falls.
Spot.jpg

The other is off the Thoreau Falls Tr. near Jumping Brook.
P7060108.JPG

I don't want to show there locations on an open forum but will in a PM if interested.