Backside Sleeping Bags?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahawus

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Backsides X-fibre sleeping bags. How accurate are their temp ratings and how is the fill and the construction holding up over time?
I seem to remember SherpaKrota saying something about using these bags.

The prices for what you get seem too good to be true. Even the weight ratings aren't too bad compared to other synthetic fills. I need a winter bag and these seem to be my pick unless I hear something negative. :confused:

Tahawus said:
Anyone have any experience with Backsides X-fibre sleeping bags. How accurate are their temp ratings and how is the fill and the construction holding up over time?
I seem to remember SherpaKrota saying something about using these bags.

The prices for what you get seem too good to be true. Even the weight ratings aren't too bad compared to other synthetic fills. I need a winter bag and these seem to be my pick unless I hear something negative. :confused:

Sherpa also recommended them to me. After 2 orders with one of their distributors/vendors and each time the in-stock date changed, I cancelled and decided to just get a comparable EMS synthetic.

If you found them in stock, then grab one! If it says "expected ship date", the exact quote from the frustrated saleswoman was "They've been pushing this date back since APRIL (2004)... I suggest you just cancel your order." :eek:

Love the bag, the temp rating is accurate (mine is -30F, and I've slept warmly at -22F). I've heard others having the same issue as Stoopid (sorry Kevin) since I made that recommendation. All I can say is if you can find one for under $115, buy it.

I saw one in lake Placid a few weeks ago but I cannot remember the temp rating. Still at their prices as long as it is rated around zero I should grab it. I can always buy a colder rated model when they come in stock they are that much less expensive than a North Face Tundra or Dark Star.

eusebio

I think those bags are made by Eusebio sports manufacuring, and then relabeled. YOu can check out their web page. THe "X-fiber" is actually the manufacurers eulin fiber, which is similar to primaloft. I have a 50 degree summer bag and I like it enough for the $30 it cost.

www.eusebiosports.com

SherpaKroto said:
(sorry Kevin)

No problem you were trying to help and had they kept up with production it would have been very helpful. All's well that end's well, the EMS bag will more than suffice.

Capoken: When I purchase my bag (late 2002), I spoke directly to Darrin Oar at The Backside who worked on the development of their proprietary "X-Fibre". They are not the same company as Eusibio, although you may be right that the fibre may be quite similar. I do not believe that they are relabeling Eusibio's bags for resale.

Kevin: glad that all worked out well for you. May you sleep warm and dry :)

Backside Sleeping Bags

Thought I'd add my "2 cents worth"... If you can get ahold of a "Wyoming River Raiders" catalog, (not sure if they are still in business), they used to have quite a selection of Backside bags. My mom (age 72) ordered one a few years ago for a rediculously low price of $50 (or so) for a 20 degree bag. I thought the quality would be awful. Surprise! I borrow it when she's not using it for kayak camping, horse camping, island camping. I am envious when I'm camping with her because it is so well made and cozy. (I have North Face/Sierra Designs, etc. bags). Hope this helps. (I'll feel silly if the company is not still in business, we used to get their catalogs up until a year ago).

Eusebio

I still respectfully disagree, Sherpa. I'm pretty sure those bags come from the eusebio factory just because when I asked Eusebio for a list of vendors, I noticed they all carried the backslide bags. look closely at the pics and see if you don't notice that they are the same. also the specs on the materials are the same. too many coincidences. BUt don;t get me wrong, I think they are a great value brand! Gotta love the chinese labor!