Bald Cap 3065' 4/7/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhrsebago

Reaction score
Expecting to be breaking the path solo on the little used Peabody Brook Trail, I was surprised to find snowshoe tracks leading from the trailhead. Eventually I caught up to Andy Wyatt, who was also heading to Bald Cap. Of all the peaks (451, to be precise), what were the odds that we'd both be on this same trail on the same day?! Interestingly, it was Andy and his colleagues who were in Baxter the week before my group and did the hard work of breaking out the Marston Trail after the Valentine's Day blizzard. The snow wasn't quite as deep today, but we were both thankful to be able to switch off the lead periodically. By 1500' the thin crust gave way to fluffy foot+ deep powder - with new snow still on all the branches from Thursday's storm, it was Winter again!!

We were both embarrassed to walk past a sharp left on the Peabody Tr just before Wonder Lake and head down the abandoned Sinclair Trail - we started to get suspicious when we began going sharply downhill. Correcting ourselves, we finally crossed Wonder Lake, which at 2600' was postcard beautiful - a long narrow pond surrounded by tall snow-draped conifers with light snow falling.

Heading South on the AT, we began our bushwhack at the first height-of-land by starting North, eventually turning sharply West to the summit. By following the path of least resistance we were able to meander through mostly open terrain. Andy had fashioned a PVC cannister which we attached to a summit spruce - no more rusted lids, leaky jars or soggy logbooks on Bald Cap!. The earliest register entry was from 1987, and the last to sign in were Onestep and Neighbor Dave from 4/1/06.

At just over 3000' this is not a high peak by any stretch, but starting at 750' elevation and breaking trail provided an exellent workout. The gorgeous Peabody Brook drainage and post-storm wintry surroundings were an esthetic bonus. Unexpectedly meeting Andy was the frosting on the cake!

Another wonderful day in the mountains!

Last edited: