Bald Eagle view at own risk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainhound

Reaction score
just thought i'd share some pics i took a few weeks ago but just decided i need to learn how to upload from camera. easier than i thought it was going to be.

While occasional images are fine to upload, too many images on this site will use up disk space and overload the server. Consider signing up for a free account at someplace like Webshots where you can get long term storage. Then just post the links on this site.

-dave-

Pretty cool pictures.
There are a few eagles nested near my employee parking lot (Amoskeag Falls on the Merrimack in Manch-vegas) . The shadows they cast are huge!

Cool

And what is that guy eating? Looks like a deer or a dog. I assume he couldn't take down something that large. What took that animal down out there?

Pb

I just got a teaser issue from National Geographic in the mail that has an amazing section on Bald Eagles. One shot has a hillside with 150 of them hanging out on it, looking like a flock of pigeons at Trafalagar Square. Amazing piece, with shots of eagles fighting in mid-air over food. In Alaska many people stop their cars and drag road kill off the highways and on to the shoulder to save the eagles who routinely feast on carcasses, and are too heavy to fly out of the way of traffic in time. Many eagles had been getting creamed until this practice became commonplace.

There was an awesome section in Winged Migration on them, too.

thanks i saw it when i was driving down RT26 in errol. i see these people stopped and looking out on the water/ice there i see the eagle. as to what its eating that would be a deer, probably taken down by coyotes.

I've got some nice photos somewhere at home of those eagles. They're likely the ones that live on Umbagog, there are two nesting pairs now I believe and a few immatures. It's a short paddle from the put in at the dam in Errol to one nest.

I'll try to find the shots tonight.

-dave-

Deer on ice

Sometime, when a deer tries to walk,or is chased across very slick ice, their legs will slide apart sideways and dislocate the shoulders and hips. Its easy for dogs or coyotes to get them. Or they starve to death, or die of shock. The Eagles and some other raptors, and even seagulls are always ready to take a free carcass.
Steveo

herons

nice pics dave. several years ago when i was living in framingham in a apartment building:( i used to take walks around the golf course, at the back end of it there is a 5-7 acer old beaver pond. in the old dead trees is a nursery of those herons. about 5 or maybe 6 nesting pairs all togther i believe there where 16 young watched them all grow up (no pics though) they all were differant aged.

Dave M . . .

Am I seeing things, or is that actually a deer in the right side of the frame of that wider shot of the heron?

Neat pics, by the way.

G.

Mountainhound said:
grumpy if you put your mouse pointer in that pic you will see it says note deer on right.
Oops! I neglected to read the caption, earlier. Guess I was too interested in the photo. Thanks for the "heads up."

G.

Can I post one? Here's a shot of a swan taken about two weeks ago in a north shore lagoon/estuary. The picture doesn't do justice. I almost got blasted out of my canoe from the backdraft of its flapping wings (haha). These birds are awsome to see in flight.