Bamforth Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
Could someone give me a historical background as to the back and forth unpredictable movement of the Long Trail going northbound from Camel's Hump to the Winooski River. I have a 1970 LT Guide where the it says in 1964 the LT used the Banforth Ridge Trail due north to the Winooski and then sometime shortly after that the trail was rerouted from Camels Hump more to the west (over Mt. Rollins) and came down pretty close to the bridge over the Winooski. Now I skip forward to 2003 and see the LT back to the Banfroth Ridge Trail for the most part and a 3+ mile road walk. Now I hear they are talking about sometime in the future (proposed?) building a bridge over the Winooski similar to that over the Lamoille that will eliminate the road walk. So the questions are: (1) Why and when did the Green Mtn. Club move the trail back to Banforth Ridge? (2) Anyone know anything more concrete about future plans for a trail bridge over the Winooski and another rerouting of the LT north of Camels Hump?

askus3 said:
So the questions are: (1) Why and when did the Green Mtn. Club move the trail back to Banforth Ridge? (2) Anyone know anything more concrete about future plans for a trail bridge over the Winooski and another rerouting of the LT north of Camels Hump?

Aaron -

I can't give you the exact dates, but 1) it's been at least 5 years since they moved the trail back to the original location. They were able to move it back because the land changed hands, and the new owner agreed to sell the necessary land to the GMC. When the trail re-opened, they also built a new trailhead/parking area.

As for your second question - crossing the Winooski River, or Onion River as it's known locally, is a big challenge as it's rather wide there. For many years LT'ers have had a road walk to/from the bridge in Jonesville. Am not sure where things stand right now in terms of getting it built; .i.e., whether adequate funds have been raised, the necessary permits obtained, etc. Am reasonably sure a call to their HQ in Waterbury Ctr would get you the answers. It's a small, non-monolothic organization - not tough to find out what's going on.

BTW - the Bamforth Ridge is one of the classic hikes in the East. I would rate it within the top 10. Lots of elevation gain too - nearly 4K'. The only downside is the road noise from I89 for the first few miles.

Kevin

I'm sure that a call to GMC office can give you the full history.

As I understand it, the original route of the AT was down the Bamforth Ridge., boat across the river, and then up what is now the Bolton Valley Access Road. So, prior to Bolton Valley ski area being developed in the 1960's, the Long Trail was routed over Rollins Mountain and across the river at Jonesville. That's where it was in the 1970's when I hiked it.

I think that landowner changes forced the trail off Rollins Mountain and back onto the Bamforth Ridge.

I think that currently, GMC has right of way for one abutment, but not the other. And I think they also have right of way from Route 2 back to Bolton Mountain. So, build a bridge, and the road walk can be eliminated. However, from what I hear, I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon.

Lamoille River Bridge

I hope whatever gets built across the Winooski is more practical than what the GMC built across the Lamoille. It's a bridge that can't be used in high water because it only goes as far as an island in the river. The low water channel fills at flood which means it's back to the road walk.

FWIW end to enders usually walk the road anyway. It's the way into Johnson and that's a popular resupply location.

To add to the impracticality of the design the access on the south bank side is down an aluminum ladder that leans against a steep eroding sand bank. It definitely looks jury rigged. Do they have plans to build another bridge to the bridge?

Peaks said:
As I understand it, the original route of the AT was down the Bamforth Ridge., boat across the river, and then up what is now the Bolton Valley Access Road.
That is correct from when I hiked the LT in the '60s, there was a farmer and if you whistled he was supposed to row over and get you. Many backpackers walked E and crossed on a RR bridge, or farther W to Jonesville. With increasing backpack use and the construction of Bolton Valley making a longer paved roadwalk, they built the W loop over Robbins Mtn. With changes in landownership that route had to be modified a couple times and it was decided that Bamforth Ridge should be the permanent route.
So, build a bridge, and the road walk can be eliminated. However, from what I hear, I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon.
The latest Long Trail News calls that one of last year's priority items that didn't happen. I'm not sure if the holdup is strictly land acquisition or if it is also the cost of the bridge ($300k?) which at one time was to be joint use with snowmobiles and thus more appealing for state funding.

BCSkier was very kind in his description of the Lamoille River bridge--- If any other group or idividual had tried to build such a bridge, environmental groups likely would have objected strongly. The Town of Johnson was against the building of the bridge, but did not have a leg to stand on ,since the town has no zoning regs. It a single purpose-- hiking only-- bridge in a sensitive area-- wetlands, trail on an eroding river bank , not useable with high water...... as well as not blending with the natural surroundings at all.

I hope no more bridges like this get built on trails anywhere!

Note that I edited after consulting the Guide Books.

In the 70s the LT was relocated west of Bamforth Ridge. The relocation ran west-northwest off Camel's Hump, descending into the Preston Brook basin called Honey Hollow. It met up with a logging road and traveled north for a short distance and re-entered the woods southeast of Robbins Mtn. There, it passed Wiley Lodge. The LT then ascended Robbins Mtn, over its summit and descended northwest, meeting up with the river road nearly at the road's junction with the Jonesville Bridge.

In the 23rd Edition (Sixth Printing - 1992) of the GMC's Guide Book of the Long Trail (page 123) it is noted: "Between Honey Hollow and Jonesville the LT follows a temporary route established in 1990 for use while a permanent route is being scouted. The trail is marked with white plastic, 2x6 in. blazes. Hikers should not attempt to use the previous route over Robbins Mtn., which was closed at the landowner's request. Wiley Lodge burned in late 1989. Plans for its replacement are indefinite pending completion of the permanent LT route."

The trail was relocated east off Robbins Mtn. After descending Camel's Hump and reaching the logging road in Honey Hollow, the LT simply followed the logging road north, out to the river road. There is a small parking area still here. It remained this way until the mid 90's (maybe 97), until the trail was again relocated west, back onto Bamforth Ridge.

Last edited: