Basin, Haystack, lost ice axe, and a chipped tooth!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
The eight of us left the Peggy O camp at about 7am March 21, 2011(Ed, Barkeater, BobN, Ike, Ryan, Keith, and Ed's son Bob) We made great time to Slant rock under light flurries to heavy snow at times. Also, the wind was prety bad. We could hear the trees banging overhead.

Once on top of Shorey's the trail was blown in and we had plenty of times where we lost the trail. Eventually we would find it and descended down to the Col. On our way up Basin we would soon lose the trail a few more times. Most of the trail markers were buried in the snow and made route finding hard. I am so glad there were eight of us.

One group would stay at the last trailmarker while the others branced out to find the next one. This worked great all day. The final summit push was rough with the wind blowing very hard. We all summited and did not stay very long as it was cold and blowing.

Somewhere just before the summit push Bob lost his Iceaxe. If it is found please contact me or him.......Thanks!

The descent down was fun right Paul? The very steep sections were a great butt slide but Ike seemed to hit the ladder on the way down and has quite a bruise.

We all finally made our way to Little Haystack and made our ascent. The wind was blowing but not nearly as bad as Basin. Little Haystack was a bit more exposed rock than Haystack proper. The descent of Little was a SOB very tricky in spots. Once we all arrived in the Col. We made great time to the summit of Haystack. The whole summit cone was glazed in snow and I was able to use snowshoes the whole way.

After we summited we took picures and made a quick descent with one awesome glisade on the way down and another on the descent of Little.

All in all what an awesome day and I was so glad there were 8 in our summit party. If it was not for all of you it wouldhave been tough to summite either peak! Also, Ed had a near death expierence on Little Haystack and there was someone looking out for him! I was to the left side of him when he slipped and I am not sure I could have grabbed him in time if he did slip. Let just say were all glad he did not. IT would have been at least a 20-40 foot fall!

Here is where the fun began. Were out of the wind and making great time. Just before Slan Rock I tripped myself in some thick spruce and fell. When I fell I tried to catch myself with my pole and my mouth hit it. In the process I chipped my right front tooth. It looks worse than when it is HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The things we do to get the 46! If it is not my foot, my knee, it is my tooth. What will be next????? Hopefully not a broken bone. Anyways these two put me up to 30 and I hope to finish next season.

Thanks to everyone who made this weekend possible! I had such a great time and Peggy O makes for such an awesome base camp!

We all would like to thank Rock On and his son for having dinner made for us when we returned. It sure was perfect timing! Thanks to you both!!!!!!!

PICTURES

Last edited:
Grats on getting two tough winter mountains. Basin seems to be in the mind of collecting ice axes this winter. Two reported in the last month I believe. :(