Batteries and Low Temps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow dog

Reaction score
Are there certain types of AA or AAA batteries that hold their charge better in cold temps? I would like to carry a headlamp or small flashlight with me and I want to make sure they work when I need them. I have a couple of sets of Nimh rechargeable batteries that seem to work well in the cold in my digital camera but I haven't used them continuously such as with a headlamp. Should these hold a charge well or would you recommend something else?

I've found that keeping them warm by putting in an inside pocket is more important than what type. Also always carry an extra set.

Lithium-ion batteries perform best in the cold; however, they're also the most expensive.

The best advice is still to carry two sets, keep one warm in an inside pocket, and swap back and forth as the active ones weaken. They'll rejuvenate as they warm back up.

Lithiums are really the only type of battery to carry or use in cold conditions. Lithium batteries retain 95% of their power in below freezing temps and keep at almost maximum output until just before they go kaput.
Alkaline batteries start dimming as they drain, and become very inefficient in cold temps.
Keeping them in a warm place works fine if you stick them in your headlamp while close to the trailhead. If you are out aways, it will take only a few minutes to start chilling down, and not much longer to go bellyup in cold conditions.

If you really need light, then whether the battery costs $3 or $1 to safely get you out of the woods is kind of immaterial given what it cost to get you there in the first place.
I use lithiums exclusively and carry a back up set.

The only exceptions to this are headlamps where you carry the battery pack inside your coat. Even then, lithiums are the way to go.

Lithium batteries

Haven’t used them in flashlights, yet, but I do use Lithium batteries (AA size) in Nikon F5 (film) cameras. The F5 is a notorious battery eater, and Lithiums are the only way to go, in my opinion.

Far more reliable than rechargeables, I believe, and much longer lasting in any conditions than alkalines (I expect 3-5 times the service out of a set of Lithiums than I get out of a set of alkalines). They never hesitate even in frigid weather. Lithiums are significantly more expensive than other batteries. They are noticeably lighter in weight than their counterparts.

Carrying a backup set is good advice. Keeping the extra set warm in an inside pocket of your clothing is an excellent idea.

G.

Not to be contrary, but . . .

Kevin -

Over the years I’ve used various rechargeable systems to run cameras and flash units. Most recently I’ve used Nikon’s NiMH packs to run Nikon D1H cameras.

In more than 35 years of working as a professional photographer -- news and industrial -- I’ve only had to bail out in the middle of two assignments because of equipment failures, and only once have come home without any pictures at all. All three incidents occurred within the last two years using the Nikon D1H digital camera systems run by those NiMH rechargeable packs. The two bailouts involved battery failures, and the no-pix episode involved a serious battery-related malfunction.

I believe those battery failures -- and past failures of other rechargeables that I’ve experienced over many years (resulting only in inconvenience) -- well may have been due as much or more to poor management of the equipment inventory as/than to inherent defects or lack of capability in the rechargeable batteries. Nonetheless, for out-and-out reliability I still give the nod to non-rechargeable Lithium cells as the most reliable and durable batteries I’ve ever used. I would carry Lithiums as a backup for the Nikon D1H camera if the camera were built to accommodate them, but it isn’t.

Lithiums have a greatly extended non-use “shelf” life, as well, which adds to their reliability. I also rate fresh -- emphasis on FRESH, in-date -- alkalines as highly reliable, although they are not as durable and do not perform as well in cold weather as do Lithiums.

Most rechargeables I’ve used do not retain their charges reliably well (my perspective), especially after they have been through many discharge-recharge cycles.

Just observations by a guy who uses these things in his daily comings-and-goings.

G.

Camera batteries and cold!

My Nikon 5700 uses re-chargeable Lithium Ion batteries and I recently discovered that if you leave them in the trunk of your car while you drive over three hours to the White Mountains at 2am and then put your camera on a tripod in teen temps while organizing everyone into a group shot... they stop working! The camera wouldn't even turn on, and this was a fully charged battery at the outset.

Thankfully, after an hour or so up my sleeve on the trail it had recovered enough to run the camera. I had to pop the battery out after each photo stop and put it back up my sleeve. Kept going all day, but would keep failing after more than about five minutes exposed to the cold. It got down to -4 at one point.

Needless to say carrying batteries up your sleeve is not the best solution so I came up with the following.

I purchased a small camera bag by Quantaray. It is just over camera size and has a belt loop. I make sure the camera and batteries ride up INSIDE the car. Before setting out on the trail I fire up a hand warmer and place it in an old sock in the bottom of the camera bag.

The bag sits comfortably on my pack hip belt. The camera is always handy and stays warm inside the bag.

The only downside is that it flops around a little when the pack is taken off, just have to be a little careful. The camera bag is made of fairly rugged material though.

I still had the battery fail after an extended photo session on the summit of Pierce last weekend. Don't know what the temp was. A short ride back in the bag though and it had recovered again.

Bob

Question for yellow dog

Can you tell us the basis for your decision to stick with the rechargeables?

G.

Re: Question for yellow dog

Grumpy said:
Can you tell us the basis for your decision to stick with the rechargeables?

G.

I own 4 sets of them already and they have worked well for me in my camera in the cold so far. I can carry an extra set if one set runs out or doesn't work well because they get too cold. Lithium batteries are considerably more expensive than other types. Most people here think lithiums are the best for cold weather but nobody seemed to think that the rechargeables are terrible for low temps.

Thanks, yellow dog

Appreciate your quick and direct answer to my question..

G.