Be prepared

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hikeritz

Reaction score
What do folks carry for...I hate to call them emergencies, but when things go wrong? Bandages, multitools, fire-making stuff, etc. I have two small kits. One for overnights, geared toward repairs (since I'll have shelter & warmth), and one for day hikes, focused on medical needs & survival. That one even has a bivy (rolled up, it's smaller than a baseball). Both kits are heavier/bulkier than I'd like, but I go through them from time to time to see if anything can be removed/replaced, and most times everything stays, because, y'know "that might be handy to have." I've rarely used anything from either kit (sewing supplies have come in handy though), so I often wonder if I really need them. What do you carry (if anything)?

I do not backpack anymore, strictly day hiker here. I carry a fairly good first aid kit, extra supplies that are dog specific. I do not carry a bivi, I carry shell pants, a shell jacket, hat, shirt, map, compass, fire starter (storm matches in a sealed match container), fixed blade knife, rescue harness (for my dog), head net (summer), perlon cord, and last but not least, a firearm. In the winter, I add my winter clothes and gear, including a bivi, probably similar to yours.

These are my kits (though both have changed a bit since these photos). Day hike on the right. A compass in both, and body warmers in the winter. These are in addition to other stuff I carry (clothing, water, food, maps, etc.)

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_121438179.jpg
    IMG_20211103_121438179.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20211103_120904912.jpg
    IMG_20211103_120904912.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 3
The one emergency item that I really wish I had with my broken ankle was a foam pad to sit on. I carried one for many years and when I switched to new pack several years ago it was less convenient. My ankle break was on a relatively warm day in November, but sitting on damp ground while waiting for rescue, it was quite noticeable how much heat loss was going into the ground from where I was sitting. I now have made a spot for the pad in the pack.

These are my kits (though both have changed a bit since these photos). Day hike on the right. A compass in both, and body warmers in the winter. These are in addition to other stuff I carry (clothing, water, food, maps, etc.)
Personally, I don't think I would ever need that iron hinge, but that's just me. (lol)

When I'm out by myself on day hikes/runs up in the mountains I'll have a first aid kid, lil' bivi sack, multitool and my emergency locator. Also some waterproof matches and a little ball of firestarting material. And a headlamp. Also a bit of rope. And a few other things I'm probably forgetting. 😄

Always a multi tool with scissors and a good blade. My wife just used it to help someone with moleskin. Paracord, headlamp, fak, matches, map, inreach, emergency blanket because my father made me bring one 30 years ago.

I do not backpack anymore, strictly day hiker here. I carry a fairly good first aid kit, extra supplies that are dog specific. I do not carry a bivi, I carry shell pants, a shell jacket, hat, shirt, map, compass, fire starter (storm matches in a sealed match container), fixed blade knife, rescue harness (for my dog), head net (summer), perlon cord, and last but not least, a firearm.
Frankly, I'm surprised at the last part. I never took you for one who carried.
You and me both. My Austrian friend was my constant companion in the Whites. And out here...of course. :)
Out here, there is way less objection to it, unless California. Almost everyone we camphost with, has one, or more. Personally, I never wanted to carry the weight, but I'm lazy. Self-defense is a personal right and a civil liberty.

In the Winter, I carry my Whisperlight set up for an inverter canister. Usually have some type of shelter, even if its only a tarp and a 30 degree sleeping bag, just in case. Unless its well below zero, I should be able to survive a night. If well below zero is forecast, I tend to rethink my hiking plans. I found my homebuilt first aid kit, although well short of a trauma kit, is much better stocked than retail kits found at walmart or Amazon. I've actually used almost everything in my FAK at one point or another, so its worth the weight, to me.

Out here, there is way less objection to it, unless California. Almost everyone we camphost with, has one, or more. Personally, I never wanted to carry the weight, but I'm lazy. Self-defense is a personal right and a civil liberty.

In the Winter, I carry my Whisperlight set up for an inverter canister. Usually have some type of shelter, even if its only a tarp and a 30 degree sleeping bag, just in case. Unless its well below zero, I should be able to survive a night. If well below zero is forecast, I tend to rethink my hiking plans. I found my homebuilt first aid kit, although well short of a trauma kit, is much better stocked than retail kits found at walmart or Amazon. I've actually used almost everything in my FAK at one point or another, so its worth the weight, to me.
Ok, I would love to know why you thought I wouldn't be one to carry. Not that I mind you having that idea, it is just very curious to me?

Very small roll of Duct tape and nylon tie wraps in a few sizes have come in handy for me.

Frankly, I'm surprised/disappointed that anyone on this forum carries, especially on the trail.

There are two reasons to carry: you're scared of something that you shouldn't be or you're a bully. The root of both is ignorance. There's nothing yet to be scared of on eastern trails, and if you're hiking out West in Grizzly and or Mountain Lion country, you'll be better protected with bear spray.

As for some that actually is worthwhile bringing: a SAM splint or two and "vet tape/wrap."

I recently hiked a bit of the Susquehannock Tr in the Hammersley Wild Area of north central Pennsylvania. Really nice area, if you're ever out that way, or are looking for something different.

As I neared the road at the end of the day hike, having seen no one all day on a fine summer weekday, suddenly a solo hiker appeared (I was also solo with my two doggies, an Aussie and a Golden). I think we were both surprised to see anyone out there.

The gentleman had a small pistol strapped to his chest, in the middle where a pack sternum strap would go. We chatted for a bit and I asked, so why are you carrying, for the bears or the humans? He replied, well, this won't do much against a bear, but would probably help if really needed; but in fact he was more worried about sketchy people, and told of meeting some intoxicated and threatening folks when camping nearby on another trip.

I think guns in the woods are probably more common in that area to begin with than in New England. Right after our parting words as I got to the road, I heard several rounds being fired from across the road. As well, there were signs for hunting areas everywhere up there, from right off of I-80 a couple hours drive away, and hunting seems to be a primary use of the outdoors.

Just an anecdote.

Frankly, I'm surprised/disappointed that anyone on this forum carries, especially on the trail.

There are two reasons to carry: you're scared of something that you shouldn't be or you're a bully. The root of both is ignorance. There's nothing yet to be scared of on eastern trails, and if you're hiking out West in Grizzly and or Mountain Lion country, you'll be better protected with bear spray.

As for some that actually is worthwhile bringing: a SAM splint or two and "vet tape/wrap."
I don't think I have the words to let you know, how pathetic you sound to me, so I won't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.