bear activity in Catskills this winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Hi, I thought I'd ask people who live in the area if they thought I should bother with a bear canister this time of year. It's supposed to be below freezing on Sat.and Jay and I will be camping around Friday and Balsam Cap. I've never had any problems with bears in this area at any time of year although I've seen a few from time to time. Thanks, Fred

I don't live in the area (as you know) but if it was me I wouldn't bother. Most all bear encounters I've heard of are in towns or near campgrounds, the chances of a bear coming across your camp are minimal.

Of course, YMMV......

Yeah, I doubt beat activity would be around, especially in the thick balsams on BC/Friday. I camped out in Harriman SP over the xmas break, I have never seen one in HSP but others have but I had no problems then on the summit of Pyngyp.

Hey Warren, Happy New Year, I sent you an email a couple days ago, as you probably knew already, no real snow over the xmas break to XC Ski and Shawn was sick. They might have enough snow now for some of the less rocky trails but I am waiting for a response from Shawn to see how much snow they got up by High Point.

P.S. I might bring my tarp along. There is some chance of rain which would hopefully be snow up there, but if it's not, I think a tarp would be a good idea, my tent isn't a true winter tent and not sure how good it will hold up with the ice, if any. (It's a Walrus Zoid 2.0)

Jay

I have slugs, though I'm missing on the buckshot or shotgun side. But I can always print my avatar out and take that along. It's a known fact that bears are afraid of wood slugs. :)

Jay

I have seen bear scat up there, especially on Balsam Cap where there are berries in the fall. The hiker who died on Friday was found to have been fed upon by a Blackbear. So you might be sharing that ridge with a bear who has tasted human flesh. But I would be more worried about the ice up there, stay on the main herd path and you will avoid the worst of the ledges. Both of you should bring ice axes, you can also use them to fight off the man-eating bear. :D

Last edited:
saw some bear tracks in the snow on the AT in nj last week but had no run ins at some of the notoriously visited shelters.
was woken up by atv's last winter on the top of pingyp though!
have a great time.

Feed was very scarce this year,and the bears went into hibernation early. There is no reason to come out now.When you stop over tomorrow morning Jay,I will show you a picture of a bear I took just below the ledges on Friday Mtn..I was about 70 feet away.He stood up on his hind legs,and gave me a pretty good picture.

Last edited: