Bear Beta in the Pemi

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolivia

Reaction score
Will be heading up to the Whites on the 4th weekend in June. One option is to tent near Carrigain Brook and Signal Notch Trail. Another is to tent near the North Fork of Hancock Branch and Cedar Brook Trail. A third would be to tent at 13 Falls Tentsite. (Other options don't involve the Pemi.)

What's the likelihood of bear problems even with bear bagging our food?

I have never had any problems with bears in the Whites. So I would say chances are slim of you having any troubles with them.
I would be most cautious in a campground rather than in the backcountry.

Bolivia said:
What's the likelihood of bear problems even with bear bagging our food?

Statistically the chances are low. But every effort should be made NOW in the Whites to avoid the kind of problem that has developed in the eastern high peaks region of the ADKs where bear canisters are now (or soon to be) required. In the WMNF, there are bear food storage lockers on the side of S. Kinsman (Eliza Brook), Ethan Pond, Nauman tentsite, as well as other sites, and a bear hanging cable in the Pemi and at 13 Falls. That says that the problem has already begun to develop and efforts (however successful) are being made to avert it. I live in Franconia. This spring, I've seen bears about 25-30 times, although some are undoubtedly repeats. Some have been on WMNF trails, some in my field, some roadside. They're here.

I have had to chase bears out of my camp while camping near the Cedar Brook/Wilderness Trail intersection. I have seen lots of signs anywhere interior...Bondcliff Trail, Shoal Pond...the location of the old Desolation Shelter was pretty much on their regular nightly feeding schedule.

Bears have had to be relocated out of the area due to their reliance on human food.

The time we chased "Brutus" (as he was named by the FS) out of our camp, we saw a hiker and his son on the way out who told us that Brutus got to their hanging food and they never even heard it.

That being said, I only actually SAW a bear twice in that area. However, they are there and precautions should be taken. I believe 13 Falls now has some facilities to protect food from bears?

Don't be mistaken...they are there. But, take precautions and you will probably be OK.

Last year 13 Falls had a bear locker. The caretaker said that they had bears coming in occasionaly to check it out.