Bear cannister ettiquette and use

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegaman

Reaction score
A question on the use of bear cannisters.

I have recently purchased a bear cannister. It is a garcia machine made type. I would imagine the same rules for distance away from your camp site apply but here are my qustions. The cannister is black and probably hard to find for humans. Is it permissible to mark your spot with a flourescent orange tape or is the zero impact method of landmarking the location the requested method.

Do people put their cannisters under logs or wedge between rocks to increase the difficulty of a bear getting at it (I have seen homemade cannisters wedged underneath bridges)?

Do people put their names or identifying marks on their cannisters or is there a need to keep them black to make them harder to find?

(A bear could probably find them by smell).

Thanks

Same rules apply. I've got orange fluorescent tape around my canister so I can easily find in the morning in case a bear toyed with it during the night.

The canister should be left alone in a flat open spot. The bear's jaws are not large enough to crush the canister and there's no grip for it's claws, so typically it just plays with it until it get's bored. You should just keep it away from brooks and steep slopes.

Haven't had any problems thus far.

Go Patriots!!!!

The Colts should have used orange tape on their receivers so Peyton would throw it to them instead of Ty Law!!!:D

Sorry couldn't pass up the opportunity!

Tape

I put shiny tape on my cannister it almost looks like aluminum foil. I also wedge my cannister in the crotch of a tree so the bear have a hard time getting it out. I have also witnessed a bear passing up a cannister in the highpeaks. I think they know now what a cannister is and that they cannot get into it!

The Colts should have used orange tape on their receivers so Peyton would throw it to them instead of Ty Law!!!

Peyton WHO?