Berkshires

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everett and Race and Alander

Anyone have any idea what camping there is in this area? I am thinking of doing a couple day trip wandering around this area, but after a quick check of the dem website, it doesnt indicate campgrounds at the state parks there. Ideally, would like to backpack rather than car camp...

dundare,

There are a quite a few camping options in the Mt. Greylock area. You can park at the Hopper trailhead and hike in about 1/2 mile to a field with an outhouse. You can also backpack into one of several shelters and camp there. The Mark Noepel (?) shelter on the AT (south) and the Wilbur shelter just off the AT (north) are both nice. You could also backpack to the Sperry Rd. campsites or Stony Ledge and camp there. Camping at any other areas is prohibited. You could call the visitor center for more info, the rangers are very helpful. The auto road usually opens the weekend before Memorial Day.

These suggestions may be too far south of North Adams for arm. My favorite hike in the Shire is the Race Brook Falls (more scenic than Bash Bish IMHO) trail and Mt. Race. The best, most panoramic cliff top views on Mt. Race are south of the summit -- so if you can spot a 2nd car or don't mind a long road walk a loop down through Sages Ravine to the Paradise Lane and Undermountain Trails in Connecticut is nice. There is also an old road south of Bear Rock Falls down to Route 41 that would shorten the loop. Anybody know if special permission is required on that old road?

Another set of nice cascades is along the climb at the south end of the South Taconic Trail in New York. They are very seasonal and dry most of the summer. It is often an impressive wall of ice in the winter, but it may have melted now as it catches the warm afternoon sun.

Bash Bish, its alphabetic

Before I confuse or convince anybody it should be other, the only way I can remember that it's Bash Bish and not Bish Bash, is that Bash Bish is alphabetic. Like smish smash or splish splash, Bish Bash rolls off the tongue better. As in splish splash I was hiking to Bish Bash. I have noticed that Bay Staters are more polite, perhaps more prim and proper, more apt to stay within the lines of the trail (just kidding), than we more raucous, bushwhacking Yorkers. So its makes sense that the falls and stream would be properly named alphabetically. So .. do the residents of the Shire and other Bay Staters say splash splish?

Hiking options for you.

I would suggest using Peterburg pass in your travels. Head out or into, (or both) the pass (on Rt. 2) on a hike. Parking and camping are both there. Camping (if your not afraid of parking in the lot or right near it) is probably easier found off the trail on the North Side of the Rd.

Let us know if there is snow in the Snow Hole!

:D

Mike