Best Laid Plans of Mice n' Men...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathiecamper

Reaction score
Hi all - what a disappointment... I recieved a call at 6am this morning from my friend David who regretted to tell me that he was suffering from the FLU... So - no Liberty/Flume loop today. I appreciate any and all posts, messages, encouragement, etc from everyone. Coupled with the flu report was a message last night from "neclimbs.net" regarding the high avalanche incidents during the past week, backing up some of your concerns. It just wasn't in the cards to do the hike today. Instead I went to brunch with mom & snowshoed with the dogs & made the best of a beautiful day!! and as an aside to "albee" - I DO have 2 AMC guides - the older silver one and the most recent, along with 4 other NH hiking guide books. I don't know about you, but I find it very frustrating to figure mileage with the AMC book - flipping pages, jotting down the mileage for each trail and adding it all up is a pain! That's why I had the mileage discrepancy - different books stated different mileage. Just thought one of you would know the mileage off the top of your head for the Liberty/Flume loop. Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions, it was very much appreciated!

Sorry to hear you were left without hiking partners today.

Hope I didn't sound rude about the guidebook comment, I just figured that everybody uses that for their distances, anyway.

I know what you mean about mileages in the guidebook being confusing. I did Cabot on Saturday and the book made it look like a straightforward 8.5 mile trip. When we got there, the trail signs said it would be 10.5 miles, then one pair of trail signs that were less than 0.1 miles apart had distances of 0.4 miles difference to the same place. Apparently, when walking east on the Bunnell Notch trail, you can actually get 0.4 miles farther from your destination while walking towards it!!!!