best pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on what you plan on using it for. I personally think An un framed is best. Also called internal pack. They stay more snug on your back especially if using them in the mountains were you will be doing steep terrain. They are also better for bushwhacks because the tend to be more narrow. The framed packs also know as external packs are good for flatter areas. I personally never cared for this type of pack but I also think a framed pack is better suited for areas that dont require much up and downs. The one advantage to an external is they keep the back cooler.

I grew up using external packs and when it came time to buy the second pack of my life, I purchased a Kelty 50th Anniversary Pack. Its a truly modern external and has corrected most of the gripes people have with externals. I took a 40 pound load on it this summer and it felt like I was carrying a daypack.

I've had several of both external frame packs and internal frame packs. I agree with the above. An external frame pack is better at stabilizing a heavy load, and transferring the load to your hip belt. It also has more places to attach things (the old "pots and pans clanking on the outside of the pack" image). The internal frame pack is better for mountaineering and bushwacking.