Best Place To buy Equipment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shadow - you must really be an odd size foot to get deals that good. I also have had good luck in the past at Sierra but lately they are selling different stuff and the deals don't seem to be there. I do like, however, that you can return anything, anytime. Good Luck

deals

yes i guess i am pretty lucky. i take a small size, usually around a 6 in hiking boots and smalls in clothing but if you keep checking the sites on a reg basis instead of waiting until you need something that's usually when you'll find the best deals. another technique i use is once i decide the brand/model i want then i do a web search on it and also find the best pricing that way also. they kid me at work bec i am always finding the best deals - but guess who they come to when they need something? :)

Sierratradingpost.com = absolutely the best deals. You get one chance to snag a deal per calender year. When it comes, its like a gift...its pretty close to free. keep looking. and have size 15 feet.

rei.com = only been wonderful to me, especially over the internet. good prices.

campmor.com= probably the best most reliable prices of anywhere, only it doesnt always carry the MOST top of the line gear.

ems= most of my stuff comes form here, because i have one 5 minutes from my house

altrec.com= if you want to drop some coin. only carries signiture type stuff from all the manufacturers.

my personal favorite-

OUTDOOR GEAR EXCHANGE= Its like a consignment shop for outdoor equipment. i got some really hot accesory stuff like belts and hats and shoelaces (gotta love the red baby!) for like 7 bucks. they have pretty nice stuff, its hit or miss for finding nice equipment, but the people there are real cool, laid back, and i really like the feel of the place. Burlington, Vermont.

In Freeport, Maine there's a LLBean outlet, TNF outlet, and a Patagonia outlet. Good deals to be had between the three. Last year I bought a three ply gore-tex Gucci Shell, stretch tec, with all the bells and whistles for 120.00. Retail was about 4 bills. OK, so it's bright yellow, but now the SAR can easily find me when I fall into a crevasse :D
I've bought most of my sleeping bags, backpacks, stoves etc at one of these three. I find them very handy for when I want to try things on before buying. I don't do well with sizing on mail order clothing and shoes.

I really Like Moosejaw.com . They have an awesome deal where if you sign up for membership, you get 10% off everything, and membership only costs $15. So if you spend 150 dollars there, you already saved!

Here is a recent email log between me and them. I might also note that my boots went on sale the week after i bought them, and they gladly refunded me the difference in cost.

Hey there -

Thanks for taking the time to write. We work real hard to give amazing
customer service and emails like this make it all worthwhile! Thanks again
and enjoy the gear!

Jeffrey Wolfe
Owner
Moosejaw

> Dear Moosejaw Associates,
> I wanted to say thank you for providing me with excellent service
> over the past week. I must admit to being kind of a pain in the ass
> customer. I have been very anxious about the trip that I leave tomorrow,
> because I lacked adequate gear for the cold. Now that I my new boots have
> arrived, I can breath a sigh of relief, and finish packing for my cold
> weather expedition into the Adirondacks.
> What impressed me most with your group of associates was the sheer
> willingness to help me, and be happy about it. I must have talked to 8
> different people at your company, and every time I was greeted with a
happy
> voice, and a person who was more then willing to assist me. I must have
> called 3 times a day, sometimes reaching the same voice 2x in one day. I
> was surprised to find that everyone there was really happy to bend over
> backwards to get me the information on the status of my order, as well as
> make sure my boots arrived on time. I was even given overnight shipping
for
> the cost of a 2 day ship, to insure that my boots arrived on time for my
> trip.
> Thank you for such an excellent experience with your company. I
> expect to be doing much business with you guys in the future.
>
>
> Thanks again,
Me