Best Place To buy Equipment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Best place" is a loose term.

Here's what I have seen.....

If you are speaking of the type of retailer that has extremely qualified and knowledgeable people on staff and will spend an inordinant amount of time helping you and explaining how's/why's of gear, then I have to pat the smaller specialized retailers on the back - Such as The Mountaineer in Keene Valley or Mountain Gear in Seattle, GO&SO in Rochester and a few others - Stores that are actually near or serve adventuresome places.

If you are speaking strictly of lowest prices, regardless of service or knowledge (or lack of either), then I would probably lean towards Campmor.
REI and EMS run the gamut - REI in Conshohocken is hopeless, whereas REI in Anchorage rivals the small outfitters.
Same thing with EMS - oyu can end up in a Mall EMS and have
clerks with absolutely no outdoor experience other than an 8-hour (or so) training course, whereas some of the EMS destination stores have some very accomplished bright folks working there.

Cheapest of all is no service with max price concessions - websites and outlets

thanks rick, I have an EMS near me that offers rude service and pushy salesmanship. What a wonderful shopping experience!

Yeah, the REI in Anchorage is great. At the last minute I bought an MSR Zoid 1 from them that was missing a D-clasp. (Yeah, I didn't find out til I was on the trip, but it wasn't a biggie, definitely a no-no though on my part) Anyway, on the way home, we stopped back at the place in anchorage about 15 minutes after closing time. The man at the cashier literally opened the store again and went and found a person in tents and even went so far as to take a D-clasp from another MSR Zoid and put it on mine. Great service and they're pretty knowledgeable.

I've been to Campmor millions of times, EMS, the Mountaineer in Keene.

As far as online, I've actually gotten decent X-C skiing advice from backcountrystore.com via their live chat. But like mentioned, don't expect service on the online stores.

Jay

kjbjette said:
thanks rick, I have an EMS near me that offers rude service and pushy salesmanship. What a wonderful shopping experience!

Based on your location, I'm guessing you've been to Emerald Square. I find the EMS there is not really geared for people who want do things outdoors... it's more for people who dress in expensive outdoors-style outfits. Sadly, there's not really much of an alternative within easy driving distance.

I usually find much better service at the REI in Framingham so it's worth the drive or else I order from them online. If you're willing to order online, campmor and sierra trading post often have good deals as well. It all really depends on what kind of gear you're looking for.

- Ivy

Last edited:
I echo the advice of others about the major retailers but I have had outstanding luck on eBay. If you know exactly what you want / need, you can generally get it there much cheaper. I have never been burned in the MANY transactions I have done there. If you decide you don't like the product, you can resell it and generally not lose too badly (I have actually made money, not on purpose...) Anyway, it's definitely worth considering it price is an issue and finding gear that is barely used isn't.

I have also had good luck at EMS in Framingham, plus it is just a short drive about 1/2 mile (across Shopper' World) from the REI store in Framingham. Its about 35-40 minutes from Cumberland.

Has anyone been to New England Backpacker in Worcester? From their site it seems like small version of Hilton's Tent City but not sure about the pricing.
Hugh.

My favorites

If you need advice on certain equipment I find local stores the best. Two of my favorites are Adirondack Paddle 'n Pole in Colonie and The Mountaineer in Keene. Rich Macha at A-P'nP knows his stuff on backcountry skiing, snowshoing and paddling. Good website too (http://pages.prodigy.net/apnp/)

Have usually found the staff at the Mountaineer helpful and knowledgeable, plus they're a good resource on trails and routes, and conditions, they're often out there on them

If you know what you want and/or are looking for low price, I've had good experiences with both Campmor and Sierra Trading Post.

LLB? and SG

Hi. My two favorite places were not yet mentioned:

1) LL Bean. Great gear w/ the best garentee in the business. It can be pricey, but they ALWAYS take it back. It's almost silly how they take back gear that is abused and give you a full refund or a brand new comperable product. So you can think of it this way: no matter what you buy, it's the last time in your life you'll have to buy it, because if you wear it out or outright break it, or just decide you don't like it, they'll take it back.

2) The sportsmans guide: Don't laugh. His stuff is cheap and mostly right out of china. So if you need a piece of gear CHEAP, you might give him a try. He also has a money back promise but i have yet to have to take him up on it. So far i bought a nice bivy, two summer weight sleeping bags, waterproof 3 season boots, and a few other things that I have been pleased with FOR THE PRICE. sportsmansguide.com

I like campmor too.

I live on Long Island and there is a drought of stores that cater to the great outdoors, except for salt water fishing. Go figure?
We have EMS stores but poor selection.
I have become an expert with researching and buying online.
Backcountrygear.com has some good sales and a great selection all the top manufacturers. I got the WM Apache bag for 160, could not pass it up. I have also bought from Sieraa Trading and Campmor. I usually know what I want and search for the site with the lowest price and good return policy and thats it.
I envy you folks up north that are near specialty stores with people who know what they are selling.
PS my research includes picking all of your brains for advise:D
You have been great and I have some great gear at great prices
thank you
AL

Web Sites I've purchased from

I've had good experiences with Mountaingear.com, SierraTradingPost.com,and MooseJaw.com.

Each specializes in slightly different aspects. Along with Campmor you can find pretty much anything and they frequently have good sales.

Even if you don't want to buy - just go to MooseJaw for the humor - it is very entertaining.

Best Deals

I may get dogged for this but since I found Sierra Trading Post on the web 2 yrs ago I have found the best prices around. I'm talking 70% or more off retail. Example: I bought Vasque Alpine Boots, reg $255 for $55, LaSportiva Glaciers reg $230-ish for $60. My most outrageous purchase was a pair of Asolo plastic boots, retailing for $400 that I got for $40! They have a great selection of layering items from silk 1st layers to expedition wgt outerlayers. I can spend $100 and save $600. I love this sport but the gear is expensive. I can honestly say I have some of the best & I never pay retail and usually go for stuff at least 70% off. Some of the other web sites have good deals too, just go straight to the sales unless there's something specific you must have & it's not on sale yet. I do also try to support local retailers whenever I can such as Albany Mountain Gear but it's tough when the web has such fantastic bargains.