Finally looks like winter in the whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The local snowmobile club has been out grooming the trails this week which implies there is enough snow to bring in the desperately needed winter tourists. My guess in normal years they would have waited to groom until there as more snow as I expect it beats up their equipment but MLK seems to be the new start to the abbreviated winter season. Still plenty of brook crossings but the seasonal temps will start to solve that quickly

I was out in woods of Randolph yesterday and the crust is firming up nicely for snowshoes except for the spots where some folks were postholing their way through the woods.

I am starting to wonder if postholing is now tied to a social media physical fitness craze as there has to be a reason folks would go out and put in five times the effort to go half the distance in winter, plus flag themselves as newbees to everyone they encounter. ;)

I am starting to wonder if postholing is now tied to a social media physical fitness craze as there has to be a reason folks would go out and put in five times the effort to go half the distance in winter, plus flag themselves as newbees to everyone they encounter. ;)

There seems to be this contrarian pride that a lot of postholers have. A weird satisfaction from operating against their own best interests. Trail trolls.

There seems to be this contrarian pride that a lot of postholers have. A weird satisfaction from operating against their own best interests. Trail trolls.
"In any case, keep some perspective. A bad day of postholing is probably better than a good day of sitting in a cubicle answering emails or cleaning your garage. Although probably no one is listing “postholing” as one of their interests on a dating app".

https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/semi-rad-the-joy-of-postholing

The local snowmobile club has been out grooming the trails this week which implies there is enough snow to bring in the desperately needed winter tourists. My guess in normal years they would have waited to groom until there as more snow as I expect it beats up their equipment but MLK seems to be the new start to the abbreviated winter season. Still plenty of brook crossings but the seasonal temps will start to solve that quickly

I was out in woods of Randolph yesterday and the crust is firming up nicely for snowshoes except for the spots where some folks were postholing their way through the woods.

I highly doubt it. Social media is to blame, that's for sure. It drives people into the woods after they see their friends hiking post and pictures. There is a learning curve like any other sport. I suspect that a fair number of postholers don't even stick with hiking after the level of suffering they endure. Then again, back in my yute, I postholed many a trail and it didn't turn me off from hiking one bit, in fact, I stuck with it long enough to see someone walk by me in snowshoes and I couldn't get to a sports store quick enough to grab a pair. I have noticed that there is definitely a strong trend now to sing the praises of using snowshoes, using phrases like get a "Golden Ticket". I think it's a bit much and frankly, I am past the point where I seek out the: "Golden ticket". I will break trails as needed, but I am not afraid to admit netrailconditions is a well used site in my browser when planning hikes. Just my 2 cents.

Another 8 to 10 inches last night. Time to get the powder shoes out!
An update from your neck of the woods from the caretaker at Grey Knob (RMC).
Trail report
🏔️
as of January 19:
The arctic blast has been keeping temperatures cold all week, and the Mount Washington Observatory has kept a wind chill advisory since Monday. The temperatures will remain low all weekend. So far the advisory extends to Sunday morning and may continue through Monday.
Above treeline there are drifts up to four feet in places; in others, the harder snowpack is bare. Snow is loose and tracks do not remain long. Expect to be breaking trail all weekend. Snowshoes are recommended, and ice axes and crampons may also be necessary in places.
Gray Knob has 28 inches of snow at the stake.
Below treeline there is still almost a foot of powder on the trails, and beneath that more compact snow which may still give way under a boot. Snowshoes are recommended, and may be necessary for the duration of your hike.
Please note that trail conditions can change very quickly in the Northern Presidentials. The conditions posted on this page may have changed since they were recorded. Always check local forecasts before you leave the trailhead, and be sure to check out the higher summits forecast on the @mwobs webpage.