Bibs which ones?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshi79

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a pair of bibs, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I need something breathable too. I know Gore-Tex is the best but it is just too pricey for me. I was looking around and found the Campmor Camp-Tech High Peaks Pinnacle Mountaineering Bib. They are supposed to be waterproof and breathable, but I am not sure how breathable and waterproof they are. Has anyone used them or know anything about them?

I have a pair. Like them a lot. Have not used them hard, yet. But they seem to be highly water resistant (hate to say waterproof). I can not really say how breathable they are. I am a hot hiker, that is, I get warm and perspire. I have a couple of pieces of Campmor High Peaks clothing. Well made.

Just got these...

I happened to be in the Greendale Mall looking for some clothes for the kids when what to my amazement there was a huge line hanging out of the EMS store there. Well as it turns out they were CLOSING! Seems they just opened a store in Millbury and already had one in Marlboro and because Worcester is only 15 minutes from either one they decided they were too close and decided to close the worcester store. No advance advertisements were made about this or the sale, but they were giving 50% off whatever the lowest ticket price on the article was. I got the EMS Expedition Bib Pant http://www.ems.com/products/product...avigation/subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1106160447340 .They normally sell for $260... but still had the 20% off for Christmas tag on them bringing them down to $208... and the clearance going out of business price I paid was half of that $104.00. Unbelieveable!

Now I wasn't even looking for bibs but a GorTex XCR bib for $104... I couldn't pass it up. Have only used them once so far. On Mt. Wachusett a couple weeks ago when we had that wind driven downpour ago that then turned into freezing pellets. Loved them... can't speak for their duribility yet though, but they look and feel very rugged and lightweight.

Good luck... BTW the new EMS in Millbury is having an opening 20% off sale I think still going on now

Capt. Jim

I would like to know also if that store is closed now or what, I didnt hear anything about this till now.

Stopped by yesterday...

they were supposed to be open till the 23rd but I stopped by ther yesterday (Tues) and the place was stripped bare & locked up. Guess the sale was so good they sold out of everything sooner than expected. I wish I had more money at the time... the deals were unbelievable! I did get the EMS Expedition Shell Jacket that goes withthe bib http://www.ems.com/products/product...avigation/subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1106174169695 for $135 (regularly $300) and a TNF Mountain Light Parka http://www.ems.com/products/product...avigation/subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1106174023450 for my buddy for $125... so we managed to get some good sh*t before they closed. But they had some great down bags, mountaineering boots, ice axes and crampons that were a steal... wish I had more money at the time. Oh well

Capt. Jim

Campmor Bibs

Josh,

I bought the Campmor bibs a couple months ago, and am very satisified with them. I used them on a 10 day mountaineering trip in New Zealand and they performed admirably. They were truely waterproof because I did get the outside of them quite damp at times. They also have full side zips which is a godsend for putting them on and layering. Also, which Campmor doesn't mention in their website, the bibs' rear completely unzips presumably so that you can go number 2 without taking the bibs off. Also, as with most bibs, they have a nice chest pocket to store snacks or dry gloves. Obviously these are not as nice as the gortex bibs, but for $99 I don't think you can find a better deal.

Just one other thing to mention, I also got the mountaineering jacket that Campmor makes, I too is waterproof, but I found it takes a LONG time to dry out, much longer than goretex.

All in all I would highly recommend the bibs at that price. Any more questions, let me know.

I have the Campmor bibs too - this is their third winter. They work fine. They are too heavy for summer backpacking, but perfect for winter hiking and climbing. I wore them ice climbing at Chiller Pillar behind Whiteface last Saturday in the brutal cold. Nothing was wet, but they breathe fine, too.

Full side zips that meet the waist behind the braces for squatting are great. Many much higher priced bibs (Can you say MEC or Arc'terix?) don't have them.

I highly recommend them - especially for the value for money.

Doug

I bought the EMS expedition bibs Monday, used them for the first time yesterday on an aggressive bushwhack up Macomb and they perfomed admirably. Never sweating but never wet/cold, and I only wore a heavy polypro layer underneath! I paid the $260 minus 30% off. Worth every penny in my opinion. As with most things, you get what you pay for. These things are like 90% gortex! Out of all the options available I chose this bib for it's price/performance ratio. If you do any serious outdoors winter stuff, you're cheating yourself buying anything less.

BTW, I've heard good things about the campmor bibs too, so if you can get them for less they may be a viable alternative.

I picked up a pair of ems moutain pants w/ system 3, its there gortex knock off. It zips half way up for quick on and off, they have thigh vents, detachable bib, and hand warmer pockets. Its a good product i like the alot. I got them right after xmas for $90 check them out.
Good luck