Big Slide Trail Conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gb-mtns

Reaction score
Hello,

Loooooooooooooooooooong time lurker, first time poster. I'm thinking of going up Big Slide this weekend and would like ski into JBL and climb from there. Any info on the current snow conditions of the trail to JBL would be helpful. Is it skiable? Also, if anyone has info on the birch glades adjacent to the Big Slide summit trail, whether those are skiable or not, I'd appreciate it.

P.S.
I'd like to thank all of you for all the information I've gained from viewing your posts.

Last edited:
Snow cover to JBL was pretty thin on Saturday. Most people were in bare boots. I tried to keep my snowshoes on for a while but there was too much rock showing. Not sure about the trail up Big Slide but lots of people were signed in to go up there on Saturday.

I hiked Big Slide on Sunday this past weekend, the 30th. Trail is very well packed down with some sections of ice.

Only a couple of spots near the top could warrant crampons, snowshoes the rest of the way.

The trail in to JBL would be tough skiing. Lots of rocks showing with only two or three inches of hard pack snow.

Skiing

I think I only saw one set of ski tracks on the trail to JBL this past weekend. We barebooted.

If you do ski, I hope you have rock skiies. Bad year for skiing. :(