Bigelow's Firewardens/Horns Pond loop 06/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randalls

Reaction score
The Firewardens trail heads from the parking area and connects with the AT at campsite on the Col between Avery and West Peak. About half way up the Fire Wardens trail, I decided that I wanted to see Horns Pond, so we took a detour to the pond when we saw the Horns Pond trail sign about half way up the Fire Wardens trail. We probably added about 3-4 miles to the trip by doing so. I thought it was worth it. Great views from the Horns and the pond area is real nice. After adding up all the trail distances and including the road, it worked out to be a 12.3 mile trip. The trails were well marked and well taken care of, as good as any in the Whites. Both, Horns Pond and FireWardens trails both had good footing, which was great considering how wet the area got from yesterdays thunderstorms. The forecast called for clear skys all day. Until we began to descend back down the Fire Wardens trail, we had a pretty thick overcast above us that looked like it could open up at any time. The wind was pretty insane. Kept the bugs away. I was reminded how much I like the wind when the mosquitoes and black flies found me back at the parking area. The trip overall was much more rugged than I assumed. I highly suggest the same trip that we took to anyone interested. Turned out to be a pretty good fathers day.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580362681RXQuCx