Bike rack for pickup

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecc

Reaction score
Anyone know what types of racks are available for use on pickup trucks with caps? I think a rack which mounts to the front of the truck would be what I would like in order to keep the tailgate free and clear. Is there such a thing? I've been transporting my bike inside the bed, but since I have a cap, it doesn't fit in there too easily with my dogs and weekend gear. Also, I'm not strong enough to easily use a roof rack, which would otherwise be the best option. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
ecc

There are hitch-mounted racks which swing out on an arm so you can lower the tailgate when you need to. I think they are pretty pricey, but they look well-designed. The only ones I've seen that mount on the front of a vehicle are the ones some city buses have on them.

take a look at the Thule and Yakima websites.

good luck!

spencer

When I had a pickup I used the bike tights. It is hard to explain but basically it is the same concept as the fork mounted racks on the roofs of cars. The only diferrence is there is nothing the back tires sits on. All you get is the piece the forks mount onto. Then the piece your forks mount onto will get bolted either into the bed or the side or you can mount it to a 2x4 and bolt that to the bed. This works well for more than 1 bike tight. I actually have one that I dont use. If you want I can send it to you and you can give it a try. Send me an e-mail if you want for free. It does the trick and takes up no space. They are relativly inexpensive and I think Thule makes one with a lock if you rather have a lock.

Last edited: