Black flies are out.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail Boss

Reaction score
Yesterday (Saturday May 1st) I hiked to the fire tower on Azure mountain and encountered numerous black flies. Given the early spring we've had, I should've expected them yet I overlooked to bring inspect repellent!

Without the benefit of repellent, each pause to catch your breath is rapidly curtailed by the clouds of black flies settling on every sweaty, immobile body part. While breathing hard, I swallowed a few and that's always memorable for all the wrong reasons. If nothing else, they serve as free 'personal trainers' urging you to move as fast as you can.

The views from the top of the tower were made extra special by the fact that it was breezy and completely bug-free.

Moral of the story:
The Adirondack Black Fly is awake and hungry; don't forget to bring repellent.

Blue Ledges trail on Saturday was thick with black flies. Not all biting yet, but definitely swarming. Did Owl's Head in Long Lake afterwards and there were no black flies there.

Rondaxe Mt in Old Forge today and bugs weren't really out.

Didnt see any Black Flies on Friday or Saturday in the northern Catskills, near Windham High Peak. Awoke on Sunday morning to find them out in force.

They were insane in the MoonHaw region Sunday! And the nettles are coming, the nettles are coming... One if by stream, two if by trail.. :p

Jay