Black Flies, Mosquitos and the poor dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other source of insect repellant for dogs.

Stopped into a Tack shop on Friday in our area. We don't own a horse but it was in a small mill complex of shops and they were the only shop with air conditioning.

For the horses, they had a number of products that help to combat insects. Sauves for around eyes, ears and wounds to keep flies away. There was also a spray to repel flies and mosquitos. To be sprayed onto the fur and then rubbed in. The instructions said it could be used on dogs as well, though not on cats. It did contain phyrethin (sp?). I think it might not be appropriate for small dogs.

There was also a food additive that contained garlic that reportedly wards off mosquitos. Recall in a hazy memory that the garlic either changes the "taste of the blood" to the insect or a "garlic" scent is given off. I wonder if some chopped garlic with some dog food would work just as well?

Hugh.

bobmak said:
Regarding pyrethrins, google it, you'll find links to info on animal seizures caused after application. It may be safe for 99.99% of the pet population, but I'd rather not take the chance. I am sure my dogs would agree.
DEET can also cause injury if one/an animal absorbs or ingests excessive amounts. Cats are particularly at risk because anything applied to the outside of the cat ends up inside.

Used properly, DEET has been shown to be safe for humans. Permetherin also appears to be safe for humans (again, used properly), but the track record is shorter. I don't have any data on animal usage of either.

Doug