Black Fly Update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, as of today, there are no black flys in the sky of Newcomb.
I would wager to say that at the end of next week, after all the warm weather, we will be inundated

I too have had some success out running the blackflies. Typically I find that you have to go about 2.5 mph to stay in front of them. Of course the real challenge is keeping the pace up on the uphill. I remember one particular failure going up the herdpath on Seward. I think I got hundreds of bites.

One other trick is to use vaporub. It's a less chemically harse than DEET. If you don't mind putting it around your eyes and ears, it can help keep them off.

Then of couse there skin so soft. For me it works for about 20 mins when I'm not hiking. If I use it hiking its worthless. But putting it on when I stop gives me 20 min. Time enough to eat lunch without DEET on my hands

I need to try the foot in the air resting position.

More on blackflies swarming the highest point

Years ago, I visited Storm King Art Center in NY State. This is a large outdoor sculpture park. It was blackfly season and I noticed that all the docents were holding umbrellas. The blackflies swarmed the umbrellas but left the people alone. I'm thinking of trying this out this season.

I got one today. we stopped to fish and a big fat black fly landed right on my arm. he did not bite me, but I felt he was offensive enough to whack anyway.

had a small mini cloud of them around me til afternoon when the wind started really wailing.

Saw a few in the southern ADKs over the weekend. With steady warmth this week they should be in full swing VERY soon :eek:

Maybe if I were a show-horse??!

Hey LauraM! That stuff is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$45.00 !

Looks like I'll just be using the 2.5 mph pace recommended in John's post......:D

Oh yeah, I forgot about the $$$$$$$$$ part. Prices have gone up, was cheaper last year. It is a small, cottage industry here in Maine, high quality stuff -- a bottle lasts a long time, too. No poisoning yourself with DEET, too.

The 2.5 MPH option is always a good one....

Laura

That $45 price was for the Equine blend, the stuff we'd use is $9.95 for 4oz. DEET for me...Ben's 100% please!