Blackhead Range - Catsklls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonycc

Reaction score
We had a wonderful trip today. I led two scouts and a father on this hike. This is the first time the father hiked in the Cats.

We parked at the Big Hollow Ttrail Head and hit the trail about 10:30. The day was warm and sunny. The route for today was
Black Dome trail => Batavia Kill Tr => Escarpment Trail => Blackhead Mtn Tr

At the col between Blackhead and Blackdome we rejoined the Blackdome trail for an out and back over Black Dome to Thomas Cole. Finally returning to the Trailhead via the Black Dome Trail.

The nothern approach to Blackhead is something I've been looking forward to doing since descending this route last winter when it was a frozen waterfall. Along the way I kept telling the group that we weren't to the steep section yet, they thought I was joking around. Finally, during the last section above 3500', as we were climbing a series of near vertical scrambles, one of them asked if we were to the steep section. :D

After taking a brief break and a couple of photos on the viewless summit we started towards Black Dome. Soon after dropping off the summit ridge we were treated to the best views of the day. Black Dome standing dramatically in front of us, the Devils Path in profile filling the entire southern horizon. After a couple of quick moans about how far below us the col appeared and then the climb back up, we took off again.

The climb to Black Dome from the col is fairly easy and quick with a few short scrambles. We had lunch on the overlook at the summit before heading off to Thomas Cole .8 miles away. We expected this section to be a nice easy walk. We were pleasantly surprised by the scrambles up the eastern side of Thomas Cole. After walking along the ridge and starting to descend the western side we never saw the view point marked on the map. We followed a spur trail to the south, but this only led to a rock outcropping surrounded by trees.

From here we returned to Black Dome, but after only a few minutes on the lookout we had to get out of the heat and the strong sun. The descent down the Black Dome trail led us quickly back to the car. The marked water on the map is a spring pipe coming out of the mountain, and it wasn't running. I was a bit disappointed since I had just finished the three liters of water I was carrying.

Just before reaching the Batavia Kill trail junction we came across a large pile of bear scat. Maybe someday I'll get to see a bear while hiking these mountains.

Returning to the car, our athlete gave us a trip summary for this 8 mile jaunt over 3(4) peaks: 4:47 minutes total time, maximum heart rate 187. Isn't technology wonderful? :rolleyes:

Another great day of hiking in the Cats. I think I made another lover of these mountains.

Tony

Last edited:
Nice TR, Tony. I know what you mean about wanting to climb Blackhead from the north. I finally got to do so during the big Escarpment hike in May, after climbing it twice from the other side. Black Dome is one of my favorites, too.

Matt

Nice trip report. This was the same route I took on my second Catskill hike. It definately got me hooked. :) Blackhead is one of my favorites, especially from the north side. That view point past the peak of T.Cole is also one of catskills finest!