Bleckhead Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smh444

Reaction score
8/13: Finally got to hike the Blackhead Range in the Catskills. Was very much looking forward to the hike. Parked at end of Big Hollow Rd.

Hike up to Blackhead fairly straightforward...trail in good condition. Toward the peak it was a scramble - straight up. Unfortunately it was all clouded in at top. Continued on to Black Dome - same cloudy conditions w/no views. Started down to Thomas Cole but aborted - no point in continuing as views were non-existent. Long decent to parking lot was painful - took forever.

Saw only one hiker the whole day - looks like this range is returning to nature. Nice trail work on Black Dome by someone.

Next day did Overlook - limited views. Lunch in Woodstock. Old hippies still there.

Did some mountain biking around N/S Lake campground. Very rough terrain. "Horse" trails are not that great for Mtn. biking - again, the whole area seems to be returning to it's natural state.

Despite disappointing views it was great to hike/camp in the Catskills.

I love the hike over Thomas Cole, Black Dome and, Blackhead. Backpacking the Escarpment trail is another good option with it's great views of the Blackhead Range and the Hudson valley.

The whole area there is worth a return visit to check the views out. Not sure who maintains the trail on blackdome itself, but I know the person who maintains the trail to Lockwood Gap (the col between Black dome and Blackhead), he was up there on Aug 8th to clear some of the trail, though not sure if he went on to Black dome summit or not, sounds like he worked below the gap to clear the overgrowth...

Did you hike out to the end of Barnum road, spot a bike, walk the road?

Jay

That's a great trip. You should definitely return on a day with good views. I assume you went up the route past the Batavia Kill lean-to and over the Blackhead summit? Great view off the escarpment over there. The view from Black Dome is one of the best and certainly requires a return on a clear day. I maintain the trail from the Lockwood Gap (col between Blackhead and Black Dome) to the summit of Black Dome. I'm glad you found it satisfactory. Above average rainfall coupled with the lack of a canopy in that area gave Mother Nature the decided advantage this year. Thankfully two days work with some volunteers helped clear it out, as Jay pointed out. Unfortunately we didn't get to the section below the trail junction, although I think the Asst. Ranger did some work in there. I'm guessing that's the way you came out. The area through the switch-backs is pretty overgrown.

Bill

Yes past the lean-to and then the scramble to the summit. Fine work my friend on clearing the trail - we were wondering how you did it b/c it was such a wide clearing...by hand?!!

No, didn't spot bike...was original intent but wife and rest of crew a bit spooked about hanging at the trailhead for 1/2 hour. Came back down the "switchback" trail - return to Big Hollow.

Yes, must return when the views are clear. I have read that they are outstanding.

Fine work my friend on clearing the trail - we were wondering how you did it b/c it was such a wide clearing...by hand?!!

Big old loud, oil leaking, smoke burping four-wheel-drive ATV with a brush-hog. :rolleyes:

Yes, work is all done by hand. Fortunately I had some extra hands to help get it done.