Blue Ridge west and Blue Ridge (ADK in Hoffman range)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
***I have recently found out that evidently the whole north approach is private land, which I was unaware of, so you'd want to get permission from the hunting club before heading to the Blue Ridges from the Blue Ridge road***
I parked on the Blue Ridge Road to approach both of these peaks from the north. Immediately I got thrown into the fire because in order to skirt around private property I had to whack through a bog which was a snarled tangled mess with plenty of foot traps to immerse you into the muck. This took a half hour just to navigate across. Then I had to cross a river, where I probably should have taken off my boots, but I said "screw it" and just trapsed through since it was so hot I didn't mind if my feet were a bit wet.
It took me 3 solid hours to get to the top of the Blue Ridge west peak. Not a bad whack and not too thick, but a lot of elevation gain. The hike begins around 1,000 feet and goes to 3,451' so it was 2,451 of vertical which took some time. But as I said, not too thick and a relatively straight forward bushwhack without too many dense spots.
That whack over to Blue Ridge was overall, very easy. I was astonished to find the ridge fairly open matchstick forest where I made good time getting over to Blue Ridge.
However, on the descent of Blue Ridge is where I discovered why Blue Ridge has its reputation. Descending down to the Aber Brook was dense thick spruce where you could only see a foot in front of you. Slow going and extremely thick to get through. I was so glad to be descending through this as opposed to going upward through it. There were a couple peek-outs on the way down where I was able to get some good photos. I made it back to my truck on the Blue Ridge Road at 7pm. The whole hike for both peaks took 8 hours. Beautiful weather and not terribly hot up there - thank God!

27926477263_9787976c21_z.jpg

Atop Blue Ridge west peak.

28509834536_e770a7c781_z.jpg

View of Blue Ridge west Peak from Blue Ridge

27926473973_239c092322_z.jpg

High Peaks looking northwesterly from Blue Ridge

27926474543_ef874b23e8_z.jpg

ACHE's (Adirondack Conifer Hell) on the way down Blue Ridge. As thick as it gets!

28258155900_0d7fdb82c4_z.jpg

Photo looking north just before descending into the Aber Book ravine.

27924935124_ee5e8f2c50_z.jpg

I actually created this waterfall. There was a log dam up above it. When I stepped on one of the logs, it cause the log to move and break free the dam. This sent a torrent of water down the brook and over the falls. If this photo had been taken 10 minutes earlier, it would have shown a nearly dry brook!!

Last edited: