Bold Coast Trail, Cutler ME (Downeast)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
This is a newish (mid-'90s) trail on the Maine coast beyond Bar Harbor/Acadia. It's one heckuva trail if you like dramatic ocean scenery mixed in with your walk. At its full length, it's a 10-mile loop with about 5 miles right on the coast, usually on cliffs about 100 feet above the water but on a few occasions (e.g., Black Point Cove), the trail drops right down onto the rocky beach. The trails winds a bit but there are water views every few minutes. A 6-mile loop is also possible. Or you can do a straight out-and-back 3-mile fairly flat walk from trailhead to coast. The sections of the trail not right on the coast cross over various terrains--cedar swamps, bogs, etc. There are extensive log walkways and when I was there this weekend the trail was dry and not too muddy. The coastal section goes up and down, not much elevation (+/- 100-150') for mountain hikers but not for toddlers. The views are truly spectacular. If you've been to Acadia and walked the coast there, it will be familiar, but what I loved about the BCT is that there are no roads nearby. You can only get to the coastal part of the trail by foot (or boat). Three primitive campsites are at the far end of the loop. FCFS. Downeast is a long haul from home (NH) for me but this was really worth it. If you go and are a camera bug, take plenty of film/memory. (I have attempted to attach one picture but this is my first try on VFTT and I don't see how to preview attachments so please bear with me if it doesn't work first time 'round.)

It definately is a gorgeous hike...my first trip there, the trail wasn't quite complete.

I've been back every year since then, I love the whole area. Lot's of other really neat, but short little hikes in the "area" and lots of other stuff to see.
I could easily spend a couple of weeks there.

I'm headed that way in November, can't wait!

waumbek,nice report. Glad it worked out for you. I would love to go,but it's about a 6 hr. drive for us,so it would have to be more than a weekend.
I'm not sure I could be that close to the coast of Maine without my kayak either!

It starts in Cutler ME (north of Machias) off Rte. 191, heads east to the coast, turns south down the coast (5 miles), then west and north back to the start point. Here's the link to the description and map that Kayak Dan kindly furnished me on another site.
HTML:
http://www.state.me.us/cgi-bin/doc/parks/more_info.pl?park_id=44
I printed out the map and took it with me, which was good because the trailhead kiosk was out of maps. The trail is well-blazed (blue) and there are signs at all major intersections. They only thing to watch out for is that there are numerous bushwhacked paths to viewpoints over the ocean. Understandable enough. But after you've been out there gaping at the scenery it's easy to get a little confused about the trail. There's fresh water at the cove one north of Black Point cove.

(Oops, didn't do they hypertext thing correctly. How do you do that?)

Last edited: