Bonds and Owl's Head loop 8/14-16/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
I probably passed several of you out there this weekend, but here's the trip report anyway. Enjoy!

For pictures (there aren't too many), go here

The sunniest and warmest summer weekend in the Northeast turned out to be a great weekend to hike in the White Mountains, if you can believe it. I decided to do the Bonds loop and maybe add in a few side trips to hit other summits.

I got to Franconia Notch several hours before my hiking partners on Friday, since my job is a little more flexible. To kill some time, I went up the Kinsman Ridge trail to Cannon Mountain. The trail is extremely steep and eroded into long gullies, but was a fun hike. After a summer of cold and wet conditions, the heat and humidity were hard to deal with. At the top of Cannon were dozens of people who had taken the aerial tramway up and seemed confused that a few people might walk up the mountain.

Fast forward to the evening, when I met Angela at the Lincoln Woods parking lot. We got a late start, and Gary even later (he met us at the campsite in the morning), and got to Franconia Brook tentsite just as dark was setting in. It seemed every person in New England had the same idea as we had, since the campsite was full to capacity.

In the morning, once Gary showed up, we crossed the Pemigewasset River by fording it near our campsite, almost immediately discovering a bridge that would have saved us some wet feet. No problem, though. The water was brisk and refreshing. Later in the day we would be more than happy to take a dunk in the icy waters.

By the time we got to Bondcliff, I was pouring sweat like it was my job. The trail was surprisingly easy compared to other trails I've been on this summer, but the humidity was murder. Once we arrived at the cliffs, though, a steady breeze dried us off in short time. Several people were already up there enjoying the views, which were spectacular. One other peakbagger helped us identify peaks like Carrigain, Tripyramid, Chocorua, and several others just as distant.

We continued on to Mt Bond, then West Bond, alternating between extremely sweaty and windblown. After West Bond, we went into Guyot campsite for water, and Angela headed back the way we came in order to get back to work the next day. Gary and I continued on to South Twin, then down to Galehead hut, pushing to get to Thirteen Falls tentsite by dark.

The crowds throughout the day were pretty large compared to what I'm used to. As we hiked in the afternoon, it seemed dozens of people were headed for Guyot Campsite, so we counted ourselves lucky that we were headed to a less crowded area. Well, it turned out Thirteen Falls had a record number of campers for the summer, too. Despite 30+ people there, it seemed relatively uncrowded, and we had a nice, relaxing evening hanging.

Gary and I were out early in the morning to do Owl's Head. The Lincoln Brook trail's northern half seems to have been abandoned by the trail maintainers, since it literally disappears in two or three places. Luckily, we found it again with a few short bushwhacks, and eventually made our way to the Owl's Head path, which we discovered by the smell before we saw it. Yesterday we heard from several people about a dead moose on the trail that is so smelly you have to bushwhack around it. The rumor was true. Several people went up Owl's Head, and rather than views or a hard hike the talk of the day was the maggots and the smell.

The rest of the story is simple. The southern end of Lincoln Brook trail, then the flat Franconia Brook trail and the Lincoln Woods trail are easy as pie. The hardest part of the afternoon was finding a place to eat at 3 PM in Lincoln, and then staying awake for the drive home.

i saw you three near one of the water crossings on bondcliff trail - hey you're welcome on the peak ids from bondcliff, although i had a couple wrong! south twin is visible over franconia ridge, and moosilauke is there too, further to the left. good to see your pics and you guys had a safe hike. i should post some of my pics and a report... wait - how many miles did you cover that day???

Last edited:
wait - how many miles did you cover that day???

Well, that's a good question :) It seems the AMC maps have some confusing mileage readings, but the best I can figure is around 15 miles: Franconia Brook tentsite to Bondcliff trail, then to West Bond and back, to Twinway, over to Galehead and down to 13 Falls. It felt like more than 15 miles, but I think that's it.

Nice report, Guthook.

I'm guessing the rangers haven't taken that moose into the woods to decompose because the slide isn't an official trail...? Seems a little sadistic to purposefully leave it there for hikers to have to step over/whack around.

Poor fella, we had the pleasure of admiring it during its final days, when it was alive and standing in almost the same spot that it's decomposing now.

Poor fella, we had the pleasure of admiring it during its final days, when it was alive and standing in almost the same spot that it's decomposing now.

Yeah, it was pretty sad, although also interesting. I talked to a ranger at the Lincoln Woods center and he seemed to have no plans to move it. I certainly wouldn't touch that thing. He did mention that he's sure the maggots will take care of everything in no time, so maybe that's why.

Come to think of it, on the Grafton Loop trail a couple weekends ago I found a pile of moose bones, so I guess this is getting to be a trend for me. I hope the third one I find is alive and healthy. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Good trip. I've been wondering about that section of trail north of the OH slide. How long were the obscured sections?

Paradox: the sign that someone had posted at the summit had been taken down by the forest service, but the cairn had been left alone. I certainly didn't want to waste my time building that thing :)

Vegematic! The obscured sections of trail were not super long. Probably no more than a hundred feet each. I can't say for sure because in both cases we backtracked a short distance until we were sure we weren't on the trail anymore, then wandered (still off trail) until we did find it. It didn't take more than five minutes in either case.

Nice meeting you, Guthook!

Hi there!

This is Andrew (of the couple that you met at the base of the OH herd path and at the summit). Nice meeting you! I've got my trip report of my Owls Head climb here, if you are interested in reading it.

Regarding the question about how good the herd path is above the OH slide: the answer is 'really good'. It is not at all hard to follow and has no significant blowdown on it. Note that the section from the 'old' summit to the 'new' summit is a little less defined, but still very followable. The cairn at the true summit was in place in early July and is still there now, but as mentioned already, the little itty bitty vertical summit sign on a tree has been taken down. Hard to see what the big deal was with that, even considering the wilderness rules.

Oops... I just realized that the request about the trail state was for the Lincoln Brook trail, not the OH herd path....

Hi there!

This is Andrew (of the couple that you met at the base of the OH herd path and at the summit). Nice meeting you! I've got my trip report of my Owls Head climb here, if you are interested in reading it.

Regarding the question about how good the herd path is above the OH slide: the answer is 'really good'. It is not at all hard to follow and has no significant blowdown on it. Note that the section from the 'old' summit to the 'new' summit is a little less defined, but still very followable. The cairn at the true summit was in place in early July and is still there now, but as mentioned already, the little itty bitty vertical summit sign on a tree has been taken down. Hard to see what the big deal was with that, even considering the wilderness rules.

does anyone have an idea why that moose died? interesting that it was hanging out in the area prior and laid down in that spot. was out there yesterday and it looks like mostly bones and hair, but still greets you with quite a smell.
i was surprised at how much of a distinct path has developed between the "old" and "new" summits. i guess it's been a couple years since i've been up there without snow on the ground.
nice report.

bryan

Nice to meet you, too, Andrew. I'll keep my eyes open for future trip reports from you. Maybe we'll meet again out there...