Boot/Blister Tip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomEske

Reaction score
This past weekend we did about 17 miles in the Catskills over 2 and 1/2 days. By 1/2 way through the second day I developed hot spots on the bottom of my left foot. I tried re-tying with no success, so at the lunch stop I pulled the boot and saw that I had a long blister developing just in front of the ball of my foot. I washed and covered it with second skin, which helped a bit, but 2 hours later it started on my right foot, same thing. I haven't had foot blisters in 20 years because I know the signs, treat them early and am careful about proper lacing. In addition, my boots are well worn in, fit like slippers, and I have a couple of hundred trail miles on them. I was perplexed as to why this was happening.
By the end of the trip I was very concerned about getting to the trailhead. I couldn't help but think about this since returning home. Just an hour ago, it occurred to me that perhaps I needed to replace the insoles. Maybe they were worn out or pounded flat. When I pulled them out to check them, I found a whole bunch of sand and small grit underneath. I didn't clean out a whole lot of junk, but enough to be convinced that this was the cause of my problem.
From now on, I will pull the insoles at the end of every day and wipe the boots out. I know this sounds like a newbie mistake, but I wanted to pass it along in case it saves one hiker from the misery I suffered. I've only been hiking for 30 years so I really have a lot to learn yet.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.