Boot Spur 4/24/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rols

Reaction score
Date: 4/24/10

Destination: Boot Spur

Conditions: No snow and dry trail until just beyond the ladder. Snow started as patches and soon deepened. Snow depth just before treeline was 2-3 feet. There was just dry rock above treelineSnow was mostly firm but softening on the descent. There were several good size blowdowns which needed to be negotiated an a bit of care for trail finding was needed. The trail appeared as if it had not been traveled recently; it was in good shape.

Equipment: The snow was firm enough not to use snowshoes but some kind of traction was helpful. I use micro spikes halfway up and wore short crampons (Kahtoola steel) on the descent.

Comments:
An earlly start gave mee the advantage of not having a parking problem and hiking on firm snow all the way up. While skiiers and hikers filled Tuckerman's I encountered no one on my ascent and a solo hiker and one group on the descent. It was a great day to be out...sun...still some snow and lot's of time to just enjoy the trip. I spent a long time at the outlook just enjoying where I was and watching the skiiers. I went about 200' above tree line and called it a day. It was nice not having any hiking objectives and just savoring the day.