Border wars or how the MA/NY border is marked...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Two hikes in one trip report. Saturday, I redlined a bit more of the 35 mile TCT by going up to Williamstown, close to Five Corners and hiking up the Phelps trail to the TCT and northbound to Berlin Mtn, then reversing course and going down via the Mill Hollow trail with a short road walk at the end back to my car. A nice, humid day, no clear views on Berlin but interesting rock walls along the summit ridge.

Today, I did a hike by Austerlitz, NY by the Beebe mtn firetower. This one is Harvey Mtn and on the other side of Rt 22, however, they can be hiked by a connector trail that crosses Rt 22. This is an easy hike by itself but can be made longer with a loop by taking the trail up from campground #1 and down the road to the yellow trail which spits you out back further up the campsite road.

Lots of blueberry plants on the summit but no blueberries to be found.
Both hikes had me crossing into NY from MA and I got shots of 2 concrete border markers so I guess I can check them off the list. :) And redlining more of the TCT is a good thing on two humid days..

Berlin Mtn from Phelps trail

Harvey Mtn from East Hill Road

Jay

Two hikes in one trip report. Saturday, I redlined a bit more of the 35 mile TCT by going up to Williamstown, close to Five Corners and hiking up the Phelps trail to the TCT and northbound to Berlin Mtn, then reversing course and going down via the Mill Hollow trail with a short road walk at the end back to my car. A nice, humid day, no clear views on Berlin but interesting rock walls along the summit ridge.

Today, I did a hike by Austerlitz, NY by the Beebe mtn firetower. This one is Harvey Mtn and on the other side of Rt 22, however, they can be hiked by a connector trail that crosses Rt 22. This is an easy hike by itself but can be made longer with a loop by taking the trail up from campground #1 and down the road to the yellow trail which spits you out back further up the campsite road.

Lots of blueberry plants on the summit but no blueberries to be found.
Both hikes had me crossing into NY from MA and I got shots of 2 concrete border markers so I guess I can check them off the list. :) And redlining more of the TCT is a good thing on two humid days..

Berlin Mtn from Phelps trail

Harvey Mtn from East Hill Road

Jay

Hi Jay

This trail has always intrigued me. I went to Williams in the early 60s and we hiked around the northern end but I don't think there was was a specific TCT then - do you know when it was officially designated?

Of late I have been exploring boundary markers in general, including some on the Mass border with various adjoining states. Last year I did some exploring in the SW corner.

Here's a post I wrote on another forum about the missing southwest corner (aka Boston Corner), a very interesting story: Boston Corner post.

And here's a map of the area I put together showing what I found and didn't find (including a find of the old pre-1855 southwest corner of Mass.): Boston Corner Google Map

I want to go back and look some monuments I missed or looked for and didn't find. When it comes time for you to hit that area, let me know. I'd be interested in joining you. A fall foliage trip might be appealing.

A trip with a car spot from Alander down to Brace and over to the tri-point and CT high point might be fun. I looks like there's a least 3 monuments along that triangle side I would like to see which all lie near the trail. Last year I went in from either end.

Hey PB, I remember that thread about the tricorner... It is a pretty interesting read and I've hiked up by there a few times, but not enough time to go wandering. I'm not far from either end of this side of Mass nowadays... let me know when you are interested, at this point, fall is getting quite busy nowadays but sounds like fun.. Alander is a nice place... I've been to that tri marker by Frissell but not recently..

Jay