Breakfast Help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although originally when my wife first brought some home, Kashi conjured up the phrase: "Friends don't let friends eat cardboard". If you put warm water on it like oatmeal, it takes on a sweet nutty flavor that, IMHO does not even need milk.

I usually just stick to oatmeal and instant coffee because it packs so nice.

First, I make a cup of strong french roast coffee in my press, add cremora, and then while I am drinking that I begin brewing my second cup... I use a 20 oz mug and fill it to the brim. Food is usally granola pre-mixed with powdered milk in a zip lock, instant oatmeal or a bagel toasted over the stove. If it's winter or if water is in short supply on the trail I'll just make one mug of coffee and then suck downa liter of water.

Chica likes dry kibble followed by a few snausages or liver snaps, and then maybe a rawhide chewie. Sometimes Chica's food looks better than mine.

This is starting to look like a coffe addicts support group! Incidentally, I don't drink coffee. You see, "The Bean" is an ellaborate plot hatched by the Colombian government to take over the U.S. Once everyone in the country is addicted to coffee and the mind control drug contained within, they will swoop in and take control. Hence, no coffee for me. Currently, I am under 24 hour surveillance by Juan Valdez waiting to see if I crack... But, I digress.
Thanks again for all the food suggestions. I see how a couple fo them work out this weekend in Baxter. Snausages sound good. :D ;)

Yet another slave to coffee...

I really don't like sugar sweet packages of oatmeal and the suggestions here are great - I'm going to try pb on small bagels this weekend at Roaring Brook cg. I wonder if black flies like peanut butter?

-LK

I wonder if black flies like peanut butter?

Hmmm... you may be onto something here Blue. The black flies are an inexhaustible source of free supplemental protein, and being firmly lodged in the peanut butter will keep them from moving while being consumed. If you choose chunky peanut butter you won't even notice the extra crunch while you eat!

I also like mornings and love to be on the trail early in hopes of some lucky wildlife viewings. I like the crispness of the morning's air.
So like others I like those little mini bagles with some jam or some "black fly p'nut butter " (could we market that?)
If it's wet and drizzly I'll have a cup of decafe tea to warm up or pull out all the stops and have some hot chocolate before I head off.
If it's been several days since I had a decent breakfast I might gag down some oatmeal but I've been known to carry a weeks worth and never touch it ( I tell myself I'm saving it for an emergency...which is about what it takes for me to eat it)

I skip the coffee ..I like the conspiracy theory..... could be aliens though.....

I was just surfing the net while eating lunch and found this site for home made instant oatmeal ; it looks like it would be worth trying out. What I was looking for is there is a variety of all natural instant oatmeal that we buy at the health food store that is 1000% better than the generic or Quaker oats stuff & only slightly more expensive. I'll post the name when I find it.

Last edited:
REAL breakfast food

No can do the quick oatmeal any more. Gotta have reak food for breakfast. This is my first 2 day breakfast meal. Some will say toooo heavy. but all want a taste.
Crack 3 eggs into a H.D.freezer bag. add partially cooked onion, peepers, shrooms. spoon of salsa, couple spoons of powder milk(to take up the liquid), graded chedder then seal bag. I put another over for storage insurance. Bring about 1/3 pot of water to boil& put the bag in. Cook for about 12 - 15 min. stir ocassionly. Done!!!YUM eat from the bag. & coffee water is ready. Not a bit of this sticks to the bag, & only spoon to clean
If you like this idea, try at home first

Fritz, although your breakfast sounds good, I prefer quick and easy so I'm not sure if I would ever try it. But I do have a question (in case I change my mind). Do you make this breakfast in the heat of summer or just in colder weather? If you make this in the summer, don't the eggs go bad during the first day? I'm assuming you start your overnighter in the morning, hike all day, sleep, and make your breakfast about 24 hours after removing the eggs from refrigeration. I thought eggs go bad pretty quickly outside the fridge, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Rob

(PS - I'm surprised so many people don't care for oatmeal. I buy the cheap Shoprite brand, tastes great and half the price of Quaker Instant oatmeal. I never get tired of it. But I guess if I had to eat it every single day on an AT thru-hike, it may get old after awhile. Hmmm, well ..... to each their own. :) )

Im with MichaelJ on this one...Mountain House has a freeze-dried granola, blueberries and milk cereal. If I'm in a real hurry, a bagel with veggie cream cheese.

BirdHead Studios

i12climbup

Temp. for sure is a factor. For 3 season 1st breakfast, eggs work great. Hot days might be a problem. Use best judgement. I will say though , that I get my trail mates attention at breakfast

off topic

fritz, your sig quote reminds me a bit of an ani difranco lyric (yes, I'm into that stuff heh).. Only she's talking more about the whole bisexuality thing:

to me what's more important
is the person that i bring
not just getting to the same restaurant
and eating the same thing

Not being gay/bisexual, I've always interpreted it to be more about what your sig says, though.. similar relationship. Good stuff.

Ok, carry on.. that just piqued my interest for just a moment.. ;)

Just a testament to the value of this thread.... I spent 2.5 days on the Devil's path this weekend, and was discussing some of the above suggestions with my newly met hiking partners. Unbeknowst to me, they had the makings for Fritz's egg receipe in their packs. The next morning I saw them making this concoction, and asked why they didn't mention that they knew that one when we were talking about it the night before. They said they never heard of it, but it sounded good, so they cooked it Fritz's way, and loved it.
For my own part, I brought along some good quality bagels, which I had never done before, and they worked well too.
Thanks all for the great lessons!
Happy Hiking,
Tom

For an easy breakfast I'll package some oatmeal with walnuts, rasins and a few other odds and ends, a bagel, an apple, some cheese and an OJ. This, along with the trail mix will keep me going until about mid afternoon at which time I start hallucinating about dinner.

I try to avoid caffein as that is a diuretic that can contribute to dehydration ... I try ... not always so successfully, especially if I'm prepared to linger over a more liesurely breakfast.

For that more sumptious breakfast I'll pack a freezer bag with pancake mix (whole wheat flour, baking soda and powder, wheat germ, oatmeal and maybe dried cranberries and walnuts). In a small thermos I'll carry chilled milk (or buttermilk) shaken up with an egg. Don't forget the maple syrup. The usual OJ. Add precooked bacon, which with modern packaging can survive a day or so in your pack, guaranteed to annoy the heck out of campers eating oatmeal when you heat it up and the aromas drift over. This along with trail mix will keep me going until about mid afternoon at which time I start hallucinating about how nice it would have been to get an early start.

We call them omelets in a bag. We prepare them ahead of time like, Fritz, but then we freeze them, along with a Nalgene bottle ¾ full. The morning we leave we put the frozen eggs, and the Nalgene bottle in a small insulated bag along with cheese or any other item we want to keep cold. This is the buried deep in a pack. We have had ice in the water bottle after two days even in the summer months. I find this is a nice way to postpone the inevitable oatmeal/poptart regime which is our standard breakfast meal.

One tip on cooking, don’t let the bag touch the side of your pot above the waterline, it will melt on contact

I like HarryK's breakfast (see trail conditions NH) of Tuckermans Pale Ale and fig newtons.

insight---offtopic

Thanx for your thoughts. I often wonder if anyone reads the "sub-note".
As a bit of info on ani diFranco. I live in the buffalo area( her home town) & her company is doing a wonderful job in restoring an old church in the city. In spite of our politicians here. I think it will be a office/studio complex. I don't know her works very well, but she seems like a class act