Brews and NO views

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
In theory, I'm working no getting my NH 48. In practice, I've been wasting time hiking for fun, so I've decided that it was time to put theory into practice. After a couple days of doing trailwork in the Adirondacks, I took a ride over to New Hampshire to bag a bunch of peaks. I think what really enticed me was hearing about the beer on the summits of the NH peaks. Cantdog graciously accepted to be my guide. I gave her my requirements: a trail that would be easy on my bad knee. High water added a few constraints, and the peak we ended up with was Garfield.

We parked along Route 3, got into my car, and I drove in and dropped off our packs and Cantdog. I then drove back, got my bike to cycle back to the trailhead. I would much rather spend the money for beer at the summit than for parking.

When I got back, Cantdog was talking to Brian, who had just arrived. There was something fishy about that guy, probably a Pisces who was FLOUNDERing around getting his gear together. Cantdog & I headed up the trail. My knee told me that this was a good trail, in spite of it being somewhat wet, but I guess with all the rain, I couldn't expect a dry trail.

Before long, we came to a stream crossing which required some thinking. Since I'm not one for thinking, I simply removed my boots and waded across, while Cantdog went further up the trail looking for a place to cross. I put my shoes back on, headed up the trail a bit, and saw that Cantdog had crossed one stream, worked her way to a small island, and was now doing the final jump and pray. She made it across with dry feet, and within a few minutes came to another crossing. Now, here was the funny part. After crossing the second stream, we noticed that we were right where Cantdog had been before two more difficult crossings.

Brian caught up with us, and we hiked together for a while. Cantdog wasn't herself, and was a bit slower, and before long Brian and I were moving along without her. I hung back, and Brian scooted ahead. In spite of a few wet and/or muddy sections, this was a beautiful trail: a smooth tread and a gentle grade. Before long, we arrived at a junction, and the trail got steeper and rocky for the last couple tenths of a mile.

When we reached the summit, Brian was there, and he showed us a place behind some rocks that was sheltered from the wet cold wind. No views of course, but there were brews:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/garfield.jpg

We didn't stay too long, as it was getting cold, and the three of us headed down, talking about surfing, injuries, and smelly neoprene. After a bit, Brian shot on ahead, leaving Cantdog and I alone for the rest of the descent.

The trail going down, was just as nice as going up. We were able to avoid the stream crossing by taking a snowmobile trail a bit. There was a bridge, then a short bushwhack brought us back to the trail. Before long, we were back at the trailhead, and a short bike ride and shuttle brought us back to the cars, where we bid good-bye after a very pleasant hike on a lousy day.

Nice TR Pete. Too bad you didn't get any views. Garfield is an awesome peak. It was my very first 4K peak in the Northeast so it is kind of special for me. I have been up there a few times, however, I have yet to have a brew at the summit. I guess I'll have to go back :D !

Nice trip report. Your view on top of Garfield was the same as mine a few weeks ago, but you definitely had better refreshments! Sounds like the stream crossings are still the same as they were a few weeks ago too. Doug Paul mentioned something about bridges nearby for crossing the streams. Did you see any? On another topic, I've been dying to ask you where you got the tent for your cat? I'd love to get one for mine. Thanks! :)

Roxi said:
Doug Paul mentioned something about bridges nearby for crossing the streams. Did you see any?
Pete reported crossing one of the bridges on the way down. Both bridges may be visible from the junction of the hiking and snowmobile trails--at most you have to walk less than 100 ft to see them. (One bridge on each side of the hiking trail.)

Location about here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4899215&e=290124&size=m&datum=nad83
(The hiking trail is misplaced on the map--it goes through the cross-hairs parallel to the indicated trail, crossing first Thompson then Spruce Brooks. The snowmobile trail goes E-W through the cross-hairs.)

Garfield trail is fairly gentle--an access road for the fire tower that used to be on the summit. XC skiable except for the last ~.3 mi to the summit. A great viewpoint on a clear day.

Doug

Last edited:
Roxi said:
On another topic, I've been dying to ask you where you got the tent for your cat? I'd love to get one for mine. Thanks! :)
I wish I could help you. It says IAMS on it, which may be a clue, but I got it at a garage sale for a buck. As soon as I saw it, I knew 'tite Poule would like it.

DougPaul said:
No problem--I don't always remember everything I read either...
Not much wrong with that. The problem is when you remember what you didn't read.

Pete_Hickey said:
I wish I could help you. It says IAMS on it, which may be a clue, but I got it at a garage sale for a buck. As soon as I saw it, I knew 'tite Poule would like it.

Thanks, Pete. That's actually very helpful and I've sent an email to the IAMS pet food company asking them about it. I suspect it was either a product promo or part of a store display. I'm not sure if my 17 lb. cat will fit in it; 'tite Poule looks much more petite than my Dragon. He crawls into my backpack frequently, and I honestly think he'd like having his own tent, if not a doghouse. He acts more like a dog than a cat. If nothing else, it'd be amusing to watch him try to fit in it. So thanks very much for the info! :)