Bridge out over the Hudson on Allen Approach

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
There is a sign with information for the ford of the Opalescent at 3.8 miles (just rebuilt in 2001 per the guidebook) but how are people getting across the Hudson since that bridge is also out?

When did that bridge go? (I hike more often in S. New England or NH but I was there last August. I missed the announcement here. I 'll try search after I hit enter)

Oddly I've forgotten the bridge over the Opalescent from my 2006 or 2007 Allen trip. The Hudson, Lake Jimmy & the hike through the old clear cuts on a warm sunny summer day & the purple slime I remember well. (I digress though)

The Hudson looked too deep to cross Saturday yet a few cars were there, including ADK Jack. Are people parking there & going from Upper Works & then bushwhacking to a better crossing? I remember in August, it didn't look like an awful ford, not much worse then the Street & Nye crossing of Indian Pass Brook. We wandered around looking for a ford but it looked too deep Saturday.

(disclaimer, both times I was at Indian Pass Brook it was quite high, once in December when I stopped, the other in summer & the water was refreshing)

Thanks for the info, we're going back in August, we'll try crossing then. I'll bring watershoes for the kids.

If you've got the time/energy, the Hanging Spear Falls approach isn't a bad one. Hanging Spear Falls itself is well worth the visit. If you're doing it as an overnight, the lean-tos on the south side of Flowed Lands don't seem to get much use.

Crossed it on 5/21 flow is still fairly strong. I am 6' and it was just below mid thigh on the line I took about a hundred yards upstream from where the bridge was. Water is very cold and if you do take a fall in the current the water becomes deeper down stream quickly. I believe the DEC site defines the crossing as "risky". I would agree

Last edited: