Bruised, Beaten, and Battered by the Dix Range, TR - July 7 – July 9, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberzac

Reaction score
Part 1
I arrived at the trailhead just before dark and was greeted by Pennsy. Lthiker had stopped there earlier, but went into town to get something to eat. I hadn’t been there 5 minutes when he rolled in. The two of them left to spot a car at St Huberts while I got some of my gear ready for the next day. When they got back I started the fire without any help what so ever ;-). Thanks Pennsy for getting the fire ready to light before I got there. We sat around the fire and enjoyed a few refreshing beverages until probably a bit too late that night as we wanted to get an early start.

I woke up the next morning to the sun shining and thought for sure we had over slept. I told Pennsy and Lthiker to get up. As it turned out my internal alarm clock was set an hour early. Pennsy and Lt were not pleased. We packed up our gear and made our way up the herd path along the North Fork of the Boquet River. The river look to be pretty close to its regular summer time level, maybe still a little high, but not high enough to make the water crossings difficult. Mud was at a minimum and with the exception of two spots seemed to be drying up nicely. Soon we were crossing the South Fork and paid close attention to the herd path. This time we followed the correct tributary and didn’t have to climb over a 3000’ ridge. We pumped water when we got to the base of the slide. Nothing like adding 8.5 pounds to your pack just before you’re going to climb over 1400’ in a mile on open rock. It was a good thing I decided to carry 4L of water, because we found no signs of water above the first pitch of the slide until we descended the range. The views, oh those wonderful views, just kept getting better and better as we ascended the slide. About halfway up, I collapsed my hiking poles so I could more effectively use my hands for the remaining climb to the top. The scramble was fun, but tiring and we took a fairly long break at the top as we soaked in the views.

After our break we made our way over to South Dix. The herd paths seemed a lot more grown in than it was 2 years ago, but was easy to follow. We did encounter some blowdowns, but nothing major. Just off the summit of South Dix I was surprised by a great vista to the southwest, then again the last time we were there the fog was so thick you could barely see 20 feet ahead of you. Lt decided to take a rest at South Dix as Pennsy and I dropped our packs and made an out and back to Macomb Mountain. It was a good thing we did because while the descent off of South Dix was all on open rock, the climb up Macomb was forested and had quite a few blowdowns that would have been difficult to negotiate with full packs on. Soon, after many failed attempts, I finally was able to set my eyes on the summit of Macomb.

We made our way back up South Dix, put back on our packs, and made our way over Pough and Hough. The Beck Horn on Dix towered above us from the summit of Hough. We descended into the col, and had about an 800’ climb to the summit ridge. The going was tough, as this section of herd path seemed thicker than the rest. My arms and legs felt like they were on fire from the constant attacks by the carnivorous spruce that reside on the mountain slopes. The summit ridge was a welcome site as it meant we would finally get to hike on a marked trail. There were only three others on the summit when we arrived even though we still had a lot of daylight left. Felling satisfied with the views we hiked the very, very long 2.6 miles to the lean-to. Most of the 2500’ descent was in the first mile and there were several sections of blowdown we had to maneuver through.

We were very surprised to find the lean-to and the tent sites around it vacant. We gathered some wood and sat around a small fire as we ate dinner and discussed a finally very successful Dix Range traverse.
Distance – about 14 miles
Gain – 5574’
Loss – 4528’

Part 2
We slept in some the next morning as we only had a 5.25 mile hike out. The 2 miles to the junction with the Noonmark Trail was easy flat hike, but seemed to drag out longer than expected. From there it was only a mile to the top of the 3556’ high Noonmark Mountain, but we still had to climb a little over 1200’. The trail pitched steeply up right from the start, but leveled off shortly after before getting steep once again. It was like this the entire way up. The little mountain was really kicking my butt, and the hot sun and lack of wind wasn’t helping much. Lt, said he thinks the mountain has a Napoleon complex. The summit offered fantastic 360* views. We were completely surrounded by the big boys, Mount Marcy, the Great Range, Colvin, Dial and Nippletop, Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge, and of course the Dix Range. I don’t know why I hadn’t done this mountain sooner. We then descended to St Huberts and drove to the Noonmark Diner for a post hike meal.
Distance – about 5.25 miles
Gain – 1306’
Loss – 2411’

Total Distance – 19.25 miles
Total Gain – 6880’
Total Loss – 6939’

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/552104839FkVIVO

I climbed Dix on Saturday from Rte 73 (Round Pond) and had the summit to myself a little after noon-time. Didn't see anybody in the Bouqet lean-to on either the ascent or return. I climbed up a little bit of the rock slide that the trail crosses. Very wide and road-like.
It was a good day for hiking. A bit hazy though.

Tom Rankin said:
Regarding Pic #32, I took one like that recently.

http://viewsandbrews.com/ny/test.jpg - Warning ! Large image!

But I must say, I like yours for keeping the foreground in the picture!

Nice panorama. I wanted to get the full 360* shot, but there's no way I was going to be able to keep my hand level with my tripod, which I had left at home.