Bug Report Please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien

Reaction score
I'll be heading up to the northern Lake George region this upcoming weekend and was wondering what the bug situation has been like? I understand that it varies from location to location but I'm looking for a general feel. How are the Black Flies and have the Mosquitoes made their big entrance yet?

black flies

Was in pharoah lake region last weekend. Black Flies at unbelievable levels.

To put this in perspective, I have been hiking & backpacking in the adirondacks for the past 15 years. As you know a certain amount of perserverance is required - and during this time I've encountered a wide variety of dak inflicted suffering. During this time I've abandoned my hiking plans 3 times (not counting the times my partners have wimped out)

1. Late February 3:45PM 200' from top of Mount Marcy, low visibility, high winds, getting dark...

2. Five Ponds Wilderness - second day of a planned 5 day backpack - encountered incredible blow down from the microburst in the late nineties - after 2 hours of climbing over downed giant pines and progressing 1/2 mile...

3. Pharoah Lake Wilderness 2008 - after 24 hours of swarming black flies from 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM with bug repellent and smoky fires acting as seasoning for my flesh I packed up and left.

Seriously though - I have never seen flies at this level - I certainly caught them at peak time but the peak is off the charts. This is not spray some DEET on the hat bug levels.

I can't imagine they will be worse during the upcoming weekend but I also can't imagine they've dwindled a whole lot either and are probably moving North and Up (I was at 1500'). If your looking for a peaceful weekend in the woods - this won't be it. If your looking for stories to tell your friends - this is a great opportunity. If you go - go prepared - headnets, gloves, long pants, tent - and keep moving.

That said I'd go and suffer it again...as when the bugs disappeared at dusk...we had the entire lake to ourselves, nice fire, loons,.....but when we got up and the bugs started up at 8:30.....and another 12 hour stretch before the next peaceful moment....it was definitely time to leave.

I won't be too far from there and thanks for the heads up - i know the Pharoah Wildrness is awful with mosquitoes to, so the Black Fly notice isn't a surprise- a few years ago was a bad season as well. Hopefully where I'll be it will be less so but who knows - looking to have fun anyway and thanks again.

Yes, it's bad this year my neigbors in New Russia/Elizabethtown tell me it's the worse in 20 years! Last Saturday early afternoon (3PM) in the Sewards at lower elevation trails we had to keep moving and when we took a must needed rest we sure weren't alone.