Proposed National Wildlife Refuge in Western Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://themainemonitor.org/us-fish-and-wildlife-service-considers-a-new-refuge-in-franklin-county/
As mentioned in the article, this has come up before. It is centered around the Bigelow area. There is lot of conserved land in the area already but it is mostly conserved from development and subdivision but working forestry is still allowed and practiced in much of the lowlands. Mainer's have a long memory and some bad blood from events at the Moosehorn refuge in eastern Maine a couple of decades ago by refuge staff blocking access to private lands by buying and closing chokepoints on refuge lands left a very bad taste with conservatives in the state. This was taken up but the "Wise Use" movement as an eastern beach head to what is a very significant political movement out west.

Generally, wildlife refuges are centered around aquatic areas like lakes, ponds, rivers and wetland while the land in the proposed area are mostly highlands. In NH the Lake Umbagog refuge has gotten some local black marks for gobbling up high value properties along the lake and river and tearing them down which has reduced property tax revenue to Errol. Somewhat more regionally they hit a sore spot in making it very difficult to route ATV traffic over land that previously were publicly accessible. The Pondicherry unit of Silvio Conte has had far less negative publicity, mostly buying land on a willing buyer/seller basis and building and maintaining the very popular viewing platform and rail trail to the pond. They also have allowed the Coos Trail to formalize a trail through the property

My guess is Caribou Pond and possibly the ponds to the west heading towards Rangeley are target properties. The Navy S&R school had made noise in the past that they would like to expand their area of control in that area and in other areas of the country defense department lands are managed as refuges. At one point there was a proposal to use the Redington S&R location as a site for an east coast missile defense station but the US is mostly focused on westward threats these days.

Last edited:
I
“The High Peaks region is of exceptional ecological value, made up of a diverse biogeography
that extends from low-lying forests, wetlands, streams, and lakes to high-elevation mountains with alpine vegetation and boreal species,” Sally Stockwell of Maine Audubon said in a statement of support.

According to its question and answer page, the wildlife service “supports wildlife-dependent recreation, including hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, wildlife photography, and environmental education and interpretation.” At the Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge, for example, the agency allows “snowmobiling, cross country skiing, biking and horseback riding.”

# # #

Federal agencies tend to be staffed by highly-trained individuals who have tremendous experience by the time they rise to managerial levels. This is an important area, and I am grateful it is being considered for additional stewardship protections.

Brian

While this area is certainly worthy of protection, federal agencies are in general bloated bureaucracies that are at best ineffective (think TSA and FAA) and at worst too powerful and dangerous to the country (think IRS).

While this area is certainly worthy of protection, federal agencies are in general bloated bureaucracies that are at best ineffective (think TSA and FAA) and at worst too powerful and dangerous to the country (think IRS).
As someone with a Ph.D. in Political Science, I can tell you that most people who study the subject think just the opposite. The U.S. agencies are mostly quite well run but extremely competent actors. Read the article that started this, the government employees quoted struck me as quite thoughtful and competent.

A bunch of PhD academics think the agencies are well run...well I guess that settles it...LOL

Seriously, I have worked for the government and worked at a large facility staffed primarily by civil service employees. My opinion of government is vastly different from yours. As a famous American once said, "government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem".

A bunch of PhD academics think the agencies are well run...well I guess that settles it...LOL

Seriously, I have worked for the government and worked at a large facility staffed primarily by civil service employees. My opinion of government is vastly different from yours. As a famous American once said, "government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem".
Gosh, smart people who spend their lives studying how effectively or not government works versus...you. Gosh, I can't make up my mind which side is more intellectually robust.

Wait, yes I can!