Burroughs Range Loop Overnight with Spur to Giant Ledge and Panther - 6/29 to 6/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep Walking

Reaction score
Well, I just completed my first overnight hike. I started hiking in earnest this spring. At that time, I set a goal of doing the hut to hut presi traverse in late July. Since then, I've been hiking twice a week. Most of my hikes have been 5 to 9 miles and relatively strenuous. 900 to 1,900 vertical gain. All have been day hikes and all in the Hudson Highlands, Palisades and Harriman. In preparation for the presi traverse, I decided that it was time to move up to more serious stuff. The Catskills seemed to be the obvious move. So, I charted a plan for an overnight. I've never camped before, so I settled on Woodland Valley Campground, as I assumed that camping without facilities and all alone would be too much for my first time. The plan? Park at Slide Mountain Parking Area and hike to Woodland Valley with a spur to Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain on Day 1. After spending the night at Woodland, Day 2 would feature Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide and then the phoenicia east trail back to Slide Mountain Parking Lot.

Everything went according to my plan. I found it incredibly difficult. Especially since I was carrying a pack with close to 40 pounds. My wife has back problems and hiked with me, so I was carrying everything. Tent, 2 sleeping bags, two sleeping pads, food for 2, etc, etc. I thought that this would be good training for the hut to hut presi traverse. After doing this route in 2 days, I hope that the presi traverse is not more difficult than this. I've never been so tired in my life. Incredibly rewarding, however. I almost wanted to cry when we summited Slide. And the views from Wittenberg were phenomenal. We also enjoyed camping at Woodland Valley Campground.

Here's a breakdown of how it went along with some pictures:

Day 1 -> Slide Mountain Parking to Woodland Valley with in and out Spur to Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain -> 10.2 miles

We began at 10:48am heading north on the Phoenicia East Branch yellow blazed trail. Boring start to the hike, as it's along a road. Fortunately, we soon made a right and headed up the unmarked trail along the public easement over private land. This is also rather boring, but beats walking along the road. After roughly 2.5 miles, we made it to the intersection with the Giant Ledge/Panther Trail. We then started the climb to Giant Ledge. Steady climb, but nothing too difficult. Views from Giant Ledge were very nice. Pic is below.

We then descended about 200 feet and then began an approx 700 ft climb to the top of Panther Mountain. Somewhat more strenuous, but still OK. Views from here were decent, but not spectacular. We enjoyed the views from Giant Ledge more. Stopped here for lunch. Bugs were in full force, especially after 3500 ft. Day starting to heat up. Must have been in high 80's or close to 90.

We then made our way down again, and up to Giant Ledge and down again to make it back to the intersection with the Phoenicia East branch yellow blazed trail. When we got there we were already 5:30 hours into the hike. It was slow going with my pack. It's my first time carrying so much weight. Plus, we stopped for lunch and to take pictures and soak up views at Giant Ledge. Nevertheless, we were excited to have reached the intersection and thought the mostly downhill hike from there to Woodland would be a breeze. The sign said only 2.7 miles to woodland. Boy were we wrong! The Phoenicia East Branch trail to Woodland from the intersection descends steadily for 1000 ft. This itself is not a big deal, but it's full of loose small rocks and after 6 hours my feet were really feeling it. It was tough. And then when I thought we were home free there was a 200-300 ft climb over a hill to finally get to a flat stretch and down to the campground. I was spent! Never been so tired in my life. And I kept thinking that tomorrow we had almost 10 miles over a more strenuous piece of real estate!

We set up camp at Woodland, which was a breeze. Overnight was nice. Neighbors were great and offered us food. Next day we slept in, had breakfast with the neighbors and were at the trail by 11:45am (late, I know).

Day 2 -> 9.7 miles -> Woodland Valley to Slide Montain Parking Lot via Cornell-Wittenberg-Slide

Incredible that the Red Blazed Cornell-Wittenberg-Slide (CWS) trail makes you climb even to get to the register! First 2.5 miles to intersection with spur to Terrace Mountain features a steady climb, but manageable. As you know, the next 1.3 miles up to the summit of Wittenberg were the real killers! After about 3 hours from the time we left camp we summitted Wittenberg. The views there were to die for!! Pic below. Next up, Cornell. The trek to Cornell was a breeze. Views were fine and we found a nice rock on the right to sit and have lunch overlooking our next destionation - Slide Mountain. Pic Below.

The trek to Slide was grueling. After descending about 600 feet to the cornell-slide col, we rapidly started ascending once again. 900+ feet up to Slide Summit. Cornell Crack was challenging, especially with my pack. I think I should have climbed without the pack and then have my wife hand me the pack, but I managed. More challenging climbs followed. And then we finally saw the stairs. Why are there stairs there? Other parts are much tougher. There has to be an explanation. Finally, we summitted Slide. I almost cried when I saw the John Burroughs Plaque. So proud of myself for doing this and for pushing myself. I know many people do this, but it's my first year hiking, the pack weighed a lot, my first overnight, I felt it was quite strenuous and it just felt overwhelming. But beautifully overwhelming! Now 2.7 miles to go and back to our car!

The 1700 ft descent down to the Slide Mountain Parking Lot was a breeze. When we got back to our car we were as tired as we've ever been in our lives. Everything, I mean everything hurt. But it was a good hurt. Seeing the car was like seeing heaven! Most difficult physical activity I've done, but probably the most rewarding. Can't wait for the Presi Traverse. Hope it's not more difficult than this!

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• Giant Ledge.jpg
    Giant Ledge.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Wittenberg.jpg
    Wittenberg.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Wittenberg from Cornell.jpg
    Wittenberg from Cornell.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Slide from Cornell.jpg
    Slide from Cornell.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Summit of Slide - John Burroughs Plaque.jpg
    Summit of Slide - John Burroughs Plaque.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 168
Awesome, sounds like a great trip, other than the dual load!

I presume the stairs on slide are there mostly for winter where that slab can be icy. Yes there is probably an even worse slab that gets filled with snowdrifts below that ladder but hey, you'll come across many places like that in the northeast so enjoy it while it's there :)

Jay