Bushwhack On North Twin From 2nd Crossing To Ridge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That means that the older 15' quad was more accurate than the 7.5' quads...
I don't think anybody's particularly surprised by that, particularly with road/trail locations (geography seems okay.) The 15' quads were works of art.

All the GPS maps are crap at keeping up to date, which is why I make my own. I had a very interesting conversation on the west side of Garfield with someone who was looking for the old trail past the ponds, where the old tentsite was. "I can't be lost. I have a GPS."

I don't think anybody's particularly surprised by that, particularly with road/trail locations (geography seems okay.) The 15' quads were works of art.

All the GPS maps are crap at keeping up to date, which is why I make my own. I had a very interesting conversation on the west side of Garfield with someone who was looking for the old trail past the ponds, where the old tentsite was. "I can't be lost. I have a GPS."

he he. I've hiked that trail in the past couple of years. I do have to say the blazing is not very good :)

That means that the older 15' quad was more accurate than the 7.5' quads...

1. Do you agree that the 15' map is a good approximation of the current route?

2. That is in no way unusual. The newer quads are obviously better at showing things that weren't yet built in the 1920s such as I-93, and they avoid some real howlers in terrain that are more visible from the air than from an obviously finite set of ground stations. However labor was a lot cheaper in the 1920s than in the 1970s and the detail on the older quads is often better, for instance if the older quad shows 3 summit bumps and the new one only 1, there are likely to be 3.

Look at the Davis/Isolation area for a trail that probably never was where it is shown on the 7.5' map.