Calkins Creek Donaldson & Emmons July 8th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazelfiverbbery

Reaction score
Hello All I just joined and have been planning a trip up Calkins Creek with my daughters and dog arriving early evening Thursday and climbing Friday and or Saturday. Has anyone hiked this before, and how did you like it? I read some trip reports from other sites who have said it is an easier approach than climbing Seward, any feedback?
Also, I don't know anyone here, but would like to, so if you are interested in hiking along with us, we like pleasent company :) I am well prepared and know our limitations. The weather looks good. http://tinyurl.com/as5kd

-eric

I've been up there thrice. Your girls look young in that photo, so they will probably find it diificult to get through the blowdown section. My son was almost 12 when he did it, and he kept saying "I give up." That became his mantra for the day. He didn't give up, though, and we were able to reach Donaldson and Emmons. There wasn't enough time to tackle Seward, too (we hiked probably close to 12 hours for the day; I'm not certain). But—we did it as a day hike from Tupper Lake. If you're camping, you may be able to knock off all three in a day.

There are some pretty steep places along the ridge herd path on either side of Donaldson. I don't know how hard they may be for your dog.

The Calkins herd path is easy to follow, but I always make a mistake on the descent. You may want to be alert for this: Just after you leave the blowdown on your way back down, you cross a stream. Somehow I always veer off to the right and lose the path after this. There must be a left turn there that I miss. After thrashing around a bit, I figure out I'm not on the path and retrace my steps, but I really don't know what I do wrong there.

I would say you can figure on spending at least four hours to reach the ridge path from the parking lot. Another ten minutes to get up to Donaldson (turn right, climb up to where it levels off; the summit is on a big rock on the left side of the path). It's about an hour from Donaldson to Emmons each way. Probably more than an hour to get to Seward from Donaldson. It's shorter to return to the parking lot via Calkins Brook rather than descend the other side of Seward to the Ward Brook Truck Road.

Have fun! Hope the weather coöperates.

Hi Eric. There was a similar thread about CB a couple of weeks ago, you might give that a look. Anyhow, CB is the way to go. There is some minor blowdown near the top, but nothing too difficult. The trail is soft under foot, with no real steep parts. If you head over to Seward, you may want to descend the north side, and return via the Blueberry Trail. The north side is a mess, but going down it beats going up it.
The best views are to be had from Donaldson. The first outlook you reach is a lovely view of Long Lake, while the view that Raymond mentions from the summit rock is of the Cold River valley. The hike to Emmons isn't difficult at all, though the views are limited. You have to poke around Seward to get views, The hike to Sew. from Don. brings you up a gravelly chute that is a little steep, but again, nothing too serious. To do all 3 is still a serious undertaking. Let us know how it goes.

I sent you a Private Message also. I hike with my kids. They love when we can hike with other kids.....we are hoping to get up there as much as we can....let me know if you want to hook up.

Hi Eric,

Sounds like I'm right down the road from you in Holland, NY. Welcome to VFTT. My family and I are planning on doing that same route early in August -- let me know how you make out...

Bob

Donaldson only

Daughters, dog, and I started at 7:30am at the Seward Trail Head Parking lot and ended our voyage at 6:30pm whoa! I wonder if the horse trail parking lot, near camp 3, could get you to Calkins Brook karins faster than the Seward Trail Head hmmm... not sure.

Our trip exhausted us nicely. Daughters lead the way up pointing out many orange newts, toads, tall cedar trees, and hermit thrush sang to us all the way up and down Donaldson. We played and made more karins at the ford of Calkins Brook. Both daughters thought the not so fun part was the blow down with all the spikey pine branches that we had to climb over and under. For my daughters, I felt it was serious work getting through that area without injury, like climbing though a field of daggers, we went very slow and carefully, and faired well.

I would probably not climb a mountain like this one with my daughters again unless it was a lot closer to hike to, the distance to and fro was the killer.

Does anyone know the distance we went ...the horse trail goes off of my map and I cannot estimate properly.

Nice to meet some of you along the way. ...this is some :cool: site!

Last edited: