Calling Cards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still charmed by Peter, my hiking companion's, call of "Yoo hoo. Lost in the woods."

Jaytrek57 said:
I guess I'm in the minority, but I use an airhorn.
Actually, airhorns are useful in certain conditions. Like traveling along a noisy creek in heavy bear country. (Read Herrero.)

I think this was reported in Backpacker: someone tried making noises within sight of a bear (grizzly?)--it ignored a bell, but reacted to a broken stick or a human voice.

If you run into a hiker who is talking to himself, it might be me...

Doug

Last edited:
I use a personal-size nuclear device.

Airhorns? Yelling? Well, okay, I guess, to each his own.

On the other hand, I have seen deer, turkey and mink this spring, as I like to walk as quietly as possible. For the sake of startle-prone other hikers (of which I am one), I find the throat-clearing or pole clacking more than sufficient.

Really! When you hear others yelling on the trail, doesn't it make you wince just a bit?

I guess I must admit that this bumps right up against my yankee live-&-let-live ethos. Oh well.

Noise pollution

Frankly IMHO if one is so concerned with grizzlies that they have to blow a horn while hiking, then I think they should stay out of the grizzlies territory and hike elsewhere. I would consider using such a device only in an emergency as it is very intrusive and disturbing. Airhorns, yelling? No, not OK! Do it in the city, at sporting events or concerts, or in your backyard but try to keep our forests quiet, thank you.........

Haven't humans impacted this world enough w/o disturbing the last few remaining wilderness areas? I think the concept of "walking softly" in the wilderness to be just as important as leaving no trace. Noise pollution has impact on many species, even more in some cases than littering does.

I personally deal with the effects of noise pollution every day and one of the reasons I like to hike is to experience the quiet of the woods and mountains. Please keep the decibal levels of ones calling cards to a minimum as a courtesy to all of us who appreciate quiet and solitude while sharing the forest. OK, my rant is over, Thanks, Fred ;) :rolleyes: :)

Last edited:
Maybe I was wrong. From now when Im hiking and I see people that might not see me, this will be my protocal,
1. "hello fellow hikers, IM a friendly hiker and here I come hoping not to disturb you!!!!"
2. I will click my poles 5 times lightly.
3. I will then ring my cowbell.
4. a simple yodel
5. whistle for 5 seconds loudly.
6. If all this fails, Ill pull out my sawed off 12 gauge, yell "hey yuppies" and fire 2 shots into the air.
Is everyone ok now with my " calling card" :eek:

Sometimes it seems like the most harmless questions, posed out of mild interest or for amusement during these cold rainy days, can manage to stir up some unnecessary heat. I frequently run on parts of my hikes and can come up on people pretty quickly, and, if the trail surface is soft, they may not hear me, so I will always call out a simple "hello", hopefully just loud enough for them to hear me. Once or twice I didn't do this in time and the person really jumped. It never seemed necessary to yell or be very loud about it. I do find loud groups somewhat jarring when I'm in a quiet, peaceful mode, but then I have to tell myself that they're having their own version of a good time, and really it's not long before I can't hear them again.

With regard to bears, from my hiking out west, the general consensus of the locals seems to be that the bear bells don't really work, they're not loud enough to really impact a bear, and they certainly are annoying to listen to. What I heard was that if you are in known bear country and you are coming around a blind turn, or going into thick brush, or some other trail feature where you may startle a bear on the trail, a somewhat loud announcement of your presence could be useful. I have done some mountain biking in areas where there had been some history of bikers getting into nasty encounters with bears they surprised on the trail, so I would try to call out coming around blind turns. I was on a trail run once in Yellowstone and whipped around a bend to come face to face with a large antlered deer, that was startling enough for both of us (he/she turned tail and ran), but a reminder to me that I needed to take care in heavy wildlife areas.