Camel's Hump & Killington Peak in a day - 9/21/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
Mystic, Connecticut Avatar: Peakbagging with
Day 2 of a short peak-bagging trip to VT. Very brisk morning as the cold weather was starting to set in. Spent the night at the Best Western in Stowe and was up early so I could get a jump on the day. Made my way to Camel’s Hump Road, which there was no sign for, but had a good map and good distance for. Temperature starting out this morning was 40 degrees. Starting out at 0705, I made my way up the Monroe Trail. Nice, easy, steady climb up 1.3 miles to the intersection of the Dean Trail by 0730. Even more of the same moderate climb up to the intersection of the Alpine Trail by 0800. Then, from here it’s only 0.6 miles to the Long Trail intersection. Here on a trail sign there was a thermometer attached to it that was reading a cool 34 degrees at this point. From here, it’s only a short, steep, 0.3 mile climb to the summit. As I made my way up this little section I noticed that I was getting ready to break treeline. Looking up towards the west I noticed there was a pretty strong wind and all of the short little balsam trees were completely frosted over. It was here that I stopped behind the cover of these trees to put on a hat, gloves, and raincoat for wind protection. Onward I went and made the summit at 0840. Now it’s completely exposed all above treeline and most of the rocks were covered in a nice glaze of ice, which made footing extremely difficult if not dangerous. Good views most of the way around, but after waiting approx. 15 minutes or so I couldn’t ever get a good view of Mt. Mansfield to the north due to clouds being stuck on top of it. Almost fell a few times making my way south across the summit on the Long Trail. Managed to get some really cool pictures of the ice crystals that were forming on the sides of the cairns. I then only had to go 0.2 miles down the steep south side of Camel’s Hump to reach the Alpine Trail junction. It was just a little ways down the Alpine Trail I passed by the rather large remains of the 1940’s bomber that had crashed into the side of the mountain roughly 100’ below the summit. Really neat stuff to see and the section that is still there has some of the landing gear still attached. I highly suggest taking a look if anyone goes up this mountain. Another 0.5 miles and I’m now back at the junction of the Monroe Trail, which is where I had passed by earlier in the morning. Back down the last 2.5 miles and I was at my truck at 1015. Temperature now was still only 48 degrees under a beautiful sunny sky. 6.6 miles, 1800’ total in a little over 3 hours.

Now, the plan was to drive back the roughly 4 ½ hours to CT, but as I was driving south on Route 89 I just felt the need for more. So I broke off and hit the back roads toward the west side of Killington Peak. After about 1 ½ hours I managed to find the trailhead for the Bucklin Trail. Had it not been for the fact that I had the ‘Hiker’s Guide to the Mountain’s of Vermont’ book with me I wouldn’t have even known what road to take or where the trailhead even was. The trailhead was not very well marked at all as there was just some really small sign that had ‘Bucklin Trail’ in small letters on it. I didn’t have a map, however, there was a small map inside the guide, which did provide some help. After woofing down the usual peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch I was now back on the trail at 1230. It was now 54 degrees under still sunny skies. The first 2 miles are a really easy hike and then the trail takes a steeper approach to the Long Trail intersection and Cooper Lodge. Made it here by 1340. Here is where I missed the Spur Trail up to the summit. As it turns out, the sign for the Spur Trail to the summit is somewhat hidden up behind the tent platforms for Cooper Lodge. I ended up heading south on the Long Trail looking for the Spur Trail, but didn’t go to far as it started heading downhill and then I realized I must have missed the trail. After turning around and heading back towards Cooper Lodge I finally found the sign and then headed up the 0.2 steep climb to the summit of Killington Peak at 1400. That was about a 10 minute delay finding that Spur Trail. I ended up staying on top for a half and hour walking all the way around the top on a nature trail catching great views in all directions. I’ve skied this mountain many many times, but this was the first time I had hiked up it. So at 1430 I headed back down the same way I came up. It was 3.6 miles down and when I got to the part where the last 2 miles levels off I actually started jogging back to my truck. Now, this was the first time I had jogged while wearing a daypack, boots, and trekking poles, but I have to say that it felt great. I made it back to my truck by 1520 and then drove 4 hours home to CT. The Killington Peak totals were 7.2 miles, 2480’ in a little less than 3 hours. Total for the day was 13.8 miles, 4280’, and about 6 hours of hiking and 6 hours of driving. What a great day of hiking.

HOMER- Nice trip report :) and a couple of awesome peaks to bag in Vermont. Camels Hump has great views, especially this time of year with the foiliage. As for Killington, I don't think there are any views for me, I've been up there a couple of times and have seen only clouds, fog, and haze :( ........... Bucklin trail is nice and relatively easy trail, once you find it!