Camera Bags

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
ok all you photographers, I'm looking into a camera bag.

What is it about your favorite bag that you love?
What couldn't you live without in a camera bag?
What do I need to look for and to look out for?
Do some have features or qualities that you just couldn't do without?
Favorite brands?

Just starting to look into this, so any and all information and help is appreciated.

good questions.
this is for a friends who will take it hiking and boating.
big camera (compared to mine) that has multiple lenses.
Doubt they would all go hiking or boating at the same time, maybe 2?
Obviously, I know zip about cameras.

Probably, thread is in the Exposures camera group. A very low volume group which, IMHO, fulfills no real function and should be merged back into General Backcountry.

I can not open the link either. Getting same message as Kevin.

Was kind of hoping to get the bag as a surprise gift, but now I think it is too much a personal preference thing to do that...

Guess he will have to pick one out for himself.

Last edited:
I can not open the link either. Getting same message as Kevin.

Was kind of hoping to get the bag as a surprise gift, but now I think it is too much a personal preference thing to do that...

Guess he will have to pick one out for himself.
If you join that Exposures group, my hunch is you can view the thread.

Yes, that is an optional forum, not unlike Kayaking. Both were Darren's passions and so there were forums for them. At one point, the Exposure - Nature Photography was fairly active, but some of the most active contributors are not active here at all.

Tim

Here's a copy of that post for those not in the photography group.

Carrying a DSLR: gotta be a better way

Ideally, I'd like to get a DSLR case (separate from the backpack) that I could strap onto chest height and put the camera in w/ the lens facing upwards, i.e., NOT a top-loader.

Any ideas?

FWIW, I shoot w/ a Nikon D300 w/ 16-85mm & 70-300mm glass.

Answers to "Why not...?" questions:

1)
Why not a belly-pack?
They make it harder to breathe when going up a steep section. At least enough that it slows you down. I know from when I used this Inverse 200 AW; very well-constructed, and allows the lens to face up. Otherwise a great product.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-AW,2101,7.htm

2)
Why not a top-loader?
-Putting a zoom lens face-down can damage the zoom gears if it flops enough.
I used this M-Rock top-loader- again, a great design, but...
http://www.m-rock.com/sierra-digital-slr-bags.html

3)
Why not a backpack designed mostly for photography w/ a tiny section for hiking gear?
-I'd have to take off the pack every time I wanted to get a shot.
-15 to 20-mile hikes during the week means I'm usually going solo & have to take enough gear (25-ish pounds/10 kg) to survive in case I'm out there overnight and can't do a Beck Weathers or Joe Simpson.

Last edited by lx93; 01-11-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth & the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

Psalm 90:2